Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,974   Online: 1014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Old Brownie No 0 missing lens, fix

Well, a friend gave me an old Brownie No. 0 that he got in an estate. It was missing the lens so I took an old lens from a dismantled 6x6 Wirgin folder (Wollensak Anistigmat f/4.5) and the back casing of the front group fits into the front lens hole with the metal ring that was crimped around the front face removed. Now to find some 127 film to test focusing and then shoot.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Was it really missing the lens or is it a simple meniscus, behind the shutter arrangement? Many of the early Kodaks used that set-up, to good effect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There was a lens element behind the shutter but the front hole on the outside of the box was open and the shutter exposed to the elements and dust and all that nasty stuff.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe it was made to be that way. I have two of the box brownies and a folder that are that way. The folder actually gets used a good bit. No problems with "that nasty stuff" yet. Take some pictures before modifying it, you may be surprised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    I believe it was made to be that way. I have two of the box brownies and a folder that are that way. The folder actually gets used a good bit. No problems with "that nasty stuff" yet. Take some pictures before modifying it, you may be surprised.
    I think you're right, but it sounds like that point has been passed, Whitey. Now it's going to be a new sort of lens altogether

Nathan

Shooter
    Large Format
    The box camera is supposed to have an empty hole in the front. It is a single element miniscus lens. The only reason to put something on the front is to use a Kodak Portrait Attachment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    lens element behind the shutter but the front hole on the outside of the box was open and the shutter exposed to the elements and dust and all that nasty stuff.
    Think of it the other way around - the shutter is protecting the lens. The recessed lens position also turns the front hole into a functional sun-shade.

The early box cameras were designed correctly. For optimum optical performance with a meniscus lens the proper position for the stop is in front.

The present exposed lens design for a box camera is for aesthetics. And I guess the lens now protects the shutter, but now the lens is exposed.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Smith View Post
    I think you're right, but it sounds like that point has been passed, Whitey. Now it's going to be a new sort of lens altogether

Nathan
    Point taken.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No, haven't done anything drastically stupid yet. Was on the verge, though. Whitey saves the day for nostalgia again. Thanks, Whitey.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not trying to save anything, Chris. Just giving options, is all. Thanks for the comment, though. The "Frankin-lens" you described making may actually be pretty neat. Perhaps a cobbled together version will tell you what you might most benefit from having.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin