Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,916   Online: 972

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Kyoritsu EF-511NK1 Tester Stuff?

Good morning;

Where can I find accessories and fixtures to work with a Kyoritsu Electric Company, Limited, Model EF-511NK1 Camera Shutter Tester?

Some of the items of interest at this time include:

AF-101 Diaphragm/Aperture Meter

DIR-201 Light Receptor for TTL Measuring Systems

LEN-500 Light Receptor for Lens Shutters

LF-101 Light Receptor for 6 cm by 6 cm Format

MSK-1 Camera Mask for 6 cm by 4.5 cm Format

MSK-2 Camera Mask for 6 cm by 6 cm Format

MSK-5 Camera Mask for 35 mm Half Frame Format

MSK-6 Camera Mask for 110 Cartridge Format

? Camera Mask for Standard 35 mm Format

A Servicing and Calibration Manual

My search has not produced any clear leads up to this date.

Enjoy;

Ralph Javins

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh Boy
    You sure pick the good stuff don't you? Kyoritsu of course and start searching older camera repair shops for bits & pieces. Does Micro-tools still do their catalog? He may be able to put you in touch with someone.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, John;

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look at Micro-Tools also. As far as searching for Kyoritsu Electric Co., Ltd. goes, there are several reports of the financial status of the company, but no links to a web site for them. Strange.

Yes, I know that I do ask for "unusual" things. If I get to the point where I am asking, it is probably because I have exhausted my own resources.

By the way, I do understand your comment about puppy dogs and car windows; my driving license was marked "May operate motorcycles only" for 11.5 years.

Enjoy;

Ralph Javins

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

C. R. I. S. in Chandler, Arizona, seems to be the main North American representative for Kyoritsu. Their web site is www.criscam.com. The current models are the EF-1 and the EF-5. The sales manager I have begun talking with is BJ Adams.

It is not clear that they have exactly the parts I want, but at least they do have something that I think I can adapt to my older tester. I will report on the results of any possible order.

Enjoy;

Ralph Javins

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ralph:

I wish I was lucky enough to have a bench tester that worked properly. Mine is a Measurement Engineering Autotest 704 built about 30 years ago by a company in Lowell, MA. It needs work on it but I don't have schematics or factory service manual for it. They didn't have field service by dealers, so the machines had to be returned to the factory for repairs.

I finally tracked down the owner of the old company, but it turns out all of the factory service materials, schematics, etc. were tossed out several years ago. He did find an owners manual in a box in his garage, but that won't help me to fix it.

Anyone need a boat anchor? : )

EuGene

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There are so many decent ways to build a good shutter tester now that the old ones are almost pointless. If you have a decent enough oscilliscope you can watch the ramp change between dark and open to the proper stop, and then watch it close again. The detector and lightsource are the cheap parts of the kit, the o'scope being the substantial part. For more crude measurements a cheap o'scope works just fine to get you better than in the ball park. Somewhere in here is a thread discussing building a tester and pictures of the tester I built. Works well enough for me and probably for most uses. Also details can be found on the Yahoo camera-fix group which is where I found the design first. If I didn't post in here, then I can if people are interested.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ralph:

If you want plans to build your own, go to Ed Romney camera repair books at www.edromney.com and do about 3 page-downs to "Need more information, more help?" and click on the book list link. Down near the bottom of the long list of repair books is BUILD A DIGITAL SHUTTER TESTER. It is a 42 page manual with schematic, parts list, and full instructions and costs $12.

Ed Romney has been deceased for 3 or 4 years, but his wife and son continue the repair book business.

EuGene

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, All;

With the trips in the last few weeks, I have not thought of looking back on this topic. Thank you for the suggestions.

I especially appreciate the suggestions for making my own camera shutter tester.

I admit that my own first "camera shutter tester" was a Tektronix Type 545B oscilloscope with a Type L fast rise plug in to look at the waveform and a Hewlett-Packard 5245L frequency counter in period mode to measure the waveform out of a Texas Instruments 1N2175 photodiode with a power supply in series with it. It was used to check the focal plane shutter calibration of my beloved original Minolta SR-1b with a 58 mm f 1.4 Auto Rokkor PF lens. I ran the test 10 times at each shutter speed and averaged the results looking also for widely disparate data that might indicate a serious problem. None of the results were more than a few percent from the median. I still miss that old camera. Another casualty of the death of a marriage.

My current electronics equipment stable has more modern equipment such as the ubiquitous Tektronix 453 oscilloscope, and others, along with an old Tek 555 Dual Beam Oscilloscope for some special functions and nostalgia. There are also two Tek 575 transistor curve tracers. I do have the electronics capability to do this kind of a thing.

The main reason why I was asking about sources for the accessories for the Kyoritsu Camera Testers is that I have one. I like having the light meter testing capability along with shutter speed tester and the convenience of plugging in the adaptors that covered the various film formats being tested. While I do have some fair electrical standards for testing, I do not have anything for accurately measuring light. I do have cameras from 16 mm through 35 mm and on to 6 by 6 MF gear and ending at a 4 by 5 view camera. There was also the thought of testing camera equipment for friends who may have purchased something through e-Bay or might want to know if the work done on their camera really did accomplish the desired goal. There are also some curious considerations to be given to the way that an in-the-lens leaf shutter works. That has application for older rangefinder cameras as well as large format lenses. There were some special adaptors available through Kyoritsu for these lens tests. These adaptors allowed you to check the shutter speed at different points across the focal plane and watch for slowing due to friction, bounce, or delay of both the opening and closing curtains.

My real results at this point in time consist only of learning that the C. R. I. S. Camera people in Chandler, Arizona are still the North American importer of Kyoritsu Electric Company, Limited camera testing equipment. I have made contact with one person there, but suddenly all communication with him came to a halt. There have been no responses to any of my recent e-mail messages. It is not clear why they do not want to answer questions about what accessories are available for the current model camera testers they advertise.

My goal was to obtain current type adaptors, and fit them with the older electrical connectors if required. This would allow them to be plugged into my older tester for performing those functions associated with testing the various sizes of film formats. At this moment, this plan is on hold. I am equiped only with the testing sensor for the 35 mm format focal plane shutter at this time.

As other advances occur, they will be reported. Thank you for the suggestions and recommendations you have provided.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

This is an update in the continuing saga of the quest for accessories for a Kyoritsu EF-511NK1 Camera Tester.

The sudden loss of any response from the North American importer over a period of time was of concern. Finally I chose another communication path, and it did produce a result. Now I do have information. It took some prodding, but I have it.

The types of light sensors currently available for Kyoritsu camera testers seems to be more limited now. Other than the standard 35 mm light sensor provided with it, the only thing available for a larger format is the 6 cm by 6 cm light sensor for Medium Format. It also turns out that my estimate of the price was woefully low. The current price for the 6 x 6 light sensor is $ 1,600.00 plus shipping. This is almost three times my high estimate. Part of this might be the "sole North American importer" thing. I may be delayed in getting a factory light sensor for testing MF cameras. I have even begun to consider building one of my own design utilizing five small photodiodes or phototransistors as individual light sensors to be placed in the center and in each corner of the block that would go in the film plane for monitoring the time that the shutter is open at each point of the film plane. If I could find a schematic for the electronics portion of the EF-511NK1, this task would be greatly shortened.

In any case, the North American importer did finally respond.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Q.: why not make your own adapter from your 35mm measuring head to 6x6 MF ?
    It can be done with a piece of PVC plate, two L strips, some screws to secure the strips to the PVC and some cloth to protect
    your 35mm measuring head.

I did that for my home build shutter speed tester and it works for just a couple of $$.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin