Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,364   Online: 1029

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Very nice Compur w. Tessar killed?

So I got this excellent looking early rim-set Compur with a clean 4,5/13,5 Tessar. It was working nicely on all speeds except the 1sec. where the clockwork stopped in the middle of the second.

I tried to lubricate the gear axles with tiny amout of oil, but it didn't help, so I decided to clean the shutter in naptha. Since the aperture blades are made of some type of paper, I had to take the shutter mechanism out of the housing.

I cleaned the mechanisms, but now I can't reassemble the shutter correctly it seems... Nothing works. There are a lot of small pieces and springs, and I can't find the problem...

How irritating is that? I never should have started tinkering with it. :rolleyes:

Now, is it worth it to send the shutter to a repairman? Can it be as much work as a compleat CLA to just reassemble the shutter correctly?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could almost certainly find another working shutter for less than the cost of repair. A repairer takes a shutter to bits methodically you'd give one a nightmare

Those blades are metal not paper !!!

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm betting there is a small cam that you need to preload when putting the cover on to make it work. There are numerous websites that go over rebuilding the Compur shutters, they should get you close enough to get the cover on properly.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I thought the repairer could see what I did wrong and correct it. All the pieces are in place.

And yes, the aperture blades are indeed paper. Many dial-set Compurs and Compound shutters have paper irises.

http://www.skgrimes.com/compound/index.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails paper.jpg  

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The slow times not working properly on old dial-set Compurs is sometimes due to too little friction instead of too much. A few drops of oil will make sure they don't work at all!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    BTW: Some Compur and Compound shutters have paper iris blades. I've only seen it on ones I've bought from the USA, never on German or other European buys.
    Norway

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    The slow times not working properly on old dial-set Compurs is sometimes due to too little friction instead of too much. A few drops of oil will make sure they don't work at all!
    This is a 1928 rim-set Compur.

However, yesterday I DID work on a dial-set Compur. This time it was only the anchor in the escapement that needed little naptha to work again. It's for another of my 13,5cm Tessars, so I can still use one if the rim-set Compur above can't be repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    BTW: Some Compur and Compound shutters have paper iris blades. I've only seen it on ones I've bought from the USA, never on German or other European buys.
    The mentioned shutters were bought from Germany, came from Zeiss Ikon Maximar cameras, and both have paper irises.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Any day when I learn something new is a good day.

Thanks!
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotoguy20d View Post
    That's a rim-set Compur. The dial-set compur is an entirely different beast, both inside and out:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dail set 1.jpg   dail set 2.jpg  
    Norway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin