Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,595   Online: 923

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I found a few in the USA that offer wonderful ready to sand custom cut/sized lumber. Look for the post on my tripod, maybe they would be willing to send it to you for a decent price. The stuff I used on the tripod was excellent quality and about as straight as you could ask without steaming and bending.

Also one of our members here has a shop and builds cameras and kits, maybe he would be a good choice, look for Barry Young.

Depending on the camera size shipping shouldn't be very much.

Leon,
    The model dockyard should be ok for standard sizes, but a better option would be for you to make friends with your nearest cabinet maker.
    There must be one in your area. Then you would have access to carefully selected seasoned hardwoods, and a cabinet maker will have the machinery and the skill to accurately cut whatever sizes you want, and will understand the need for quarter sawn stock for stability.
    I am a retired musical instrument maker and have built a few wooden cameras. If you need any advice pm me with your phone number and I will help in any way I can.

Alan Clark

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    www.yell.co.uk should show a few cabinet makers in your locality. It's a much overlooked search engine but for local trades people its the best. I know one but not in your locality.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hello everyone - thanks for your suggestions. Luckily, I found a local timber supplier (about 3 miles from my door!) who supplied me all the sizes I needed in PAR American Cherry for half the price the luthiers were quoting. East Kent Timber if anyone from the south stumbles across this thread and is interested.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin