Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,536   Posts: 1,572,736   Online: 777

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

leather for bellows

I know most of the bellows maufacturers no longer use leather for making bellows. I understand there are probably much better materials out there and this is probably the main reason why they don't. Not to mention the costs. But if someone wanted to make a leather bellows what would be the requirements for the leather material. Soft, pliable, and yet strong I'll assume are the basics. But what about type of leather? Goatskin? Sheepskin? What about thickness? .4mm or .5mm maybe? Then what about surface? grain? Any and all thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    These are the measurements from my Century 8x10 view camera's original bellows:

The original bellows has three layers:

Inner layer: 0.008-0.010 inch, fine black woven fabric with a black coating on the side toward the ribs.

Middle (ribs): 0.012-0.014 inch, very firm and brittle cardstock.

Outer layer: 0.008 fine woven fabric with a textured vinyl pattern in burgendy color.

Total thickness with glue, etc. = 0.028 to 0.035 inches.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I believe the Ebony bellows are goatskin?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    From what I have found, you normally find goatskin skiver in nice supply of .5mm to .8mm thick, not so much for other types of leather except the composite leathers (ground and reformed to sheets). You can get these types at a book binders supply like http://www.talasonline.com/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin