Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,910   Posts: 1,630,659   Online: 1050

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denim Covering

Shooter
    35mm

Denim Covering

Hello,

I'd like to recover my Olympus OM2n using fabric from an old pair of jeans instead of the usual leather/snakeskin etc...

I was just wonder what the best way of going about it would be. Is there a way of preventing the sides of the denim from fraying?

My original thoughts on this was to cut the denim to size and use Copydex on the back in a bid to prevent fraying and as an adhesive to stick it to the body. What do people think?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Try something waterproof instead?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At fabric stores, you can get stuff that can be attached to denim to make it waterproof behind it, at least. It will also stiffen it so it's sturdier. There's also likely something you can put over it to seal it somewhat. It's not going to be a great cover for this camera, though. I'd do it on a Holga.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    You can leave an extra piece of fabric (half an inch maybe) then turn it, and sew it (or glue it). then glue it to the camera

i made a little diagram, excuse my mouse-drawing.

rore.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Some kind of contact cement will hold it to the body, get the solvent based stuff as it tends to work better. There are several products that are designed to stop denim from fraying, if you coat a larger piece than you need, it should help prevent fraying after you cut it. The cement will also help prevent fraying.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you try to double over denim, it may be too thick. Try some "Fray check" at the sewing store...it's like putting a glue at the edge of the material so it won't fray. Of course, I rather like the idea of denim fraying...looks very retro-hippie!

Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Based on the replies so far, I think I'll first treat the fabric with a waterproofing solution. Let that dry, then cover one side with my contact cement, cut to size and stick it on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you think laminated canvas mounted prints, you could apply the laminating material in a dry mounting press to the denim then use this to cover the camera

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I've just had a thought. I don't have a dry mounting press or access to one, but I might just coat the denim with a canvas varnish.

I'll give it a go with a few test strips and see how it goes.

Cheers all!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Personally I wouldn't worry too much about being waterproof, the contact cement will give you a barrier between the camera and the cloth. And any waterproofing will make the cloth harder. Even the fray stop stuff will cause it to be a little less soft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin