Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,935   Posts: 1,557,047   Online: 1275

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    mhcfires:

Was that you that paid over $3,000 for that Cirkut on Flea Bay? I think I am going to have to just fix up my Panorams, 'cause one of those Cirkuts sell for more than my net worth!!

EuGene "Po' folk" Smith
    Last edited by B&Jdude; 10-16-2008 at 08:20 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: left out a word

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cirkuts are much more complex and a lot less were made. I believe they made many thousands of panorams. They made a total of 400 #5 cirkuts. The #10 was most common with around 1900 made in the 40 years(!) of production The #16 was rarest with around 100 made for the many years it was available. It doesn't matter much since they really do different things.
    I've been shooting with al vistas and like the results. The 5" al vistas are common enough to find. The baby al vistas are more uncommon, but fun. I was able to snag a 7" x15" format al vista for a reasonable amount, and love the results I get (http://jamieyoungphoto.com/AlVista%20photos%201.html), though film is problematic. I haven't had much luck with my panorams yet, but will try again sometime.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hey, Jamie. ". . . haven't had much luck with my panorams yet . . ." Does that mean you haven't bought them yet, or you have some but haven't gotten them to work yet? In either even, welcome to the DIY Panoram repair club!!

EuGene

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a few and have gone out and shot with a couple of them. My 4B images seemed really soft. I was havign a hard time getting decent exposures with my 1D, though i believe I ended up with a few images. Guess I just didn't like any of them. Ther 1D does tend o go faster on one side than the other. I will have to take it more seriously at some point. I have a 1D, 4B, 4D, and a 3A.(http://jamieyoungphoto.com/cameras%20panoram%201.html)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Jamie:

I, too, have a 1D that swings faster to the left (away from the winder) than to the right (toward the winder) and I suspect it is a problem with the timing gear mechanism. Some, but not all, of the D models have the ratchet gear speed control at the bottom of the swing-lens shaft, and I understand they tend to behave like that as they wear. I am hesitant to try working on that mechanism since I don't know what I am doing and might damage something. So, I will probably just send it out to Ken Ruth at Photography on Bald Mountain . . . he's the expert on the Panorams.

I have a 4C that I am using to practice Panoram repair, but will probably sell it when I no longer use it for practice, as the 3 1/2" wide film one needs for it comes from those specialty places that sell old discontinued sizes and it's way too expensive for me. I'll stick with Model 1's that use good old cheap 120 film.

You probably have noticed as you read through this thread that there are several of us on here who are sharing our experiences as we work on our Panorams. One area that we haven't really gotten into yet is focus problems with the cameras.

I had one technician tell me that Panorams tend to make soft or fuzzy images because shrinkage of the wood causes the camera to focus beyond infinity. The standard repair for this is to shim the curved film track with narrow tape (something like automotive pin-striping tape). Another possibility is to slit some Teflon tape which will not only shim it, but will help the film to wind easier and keep it from binding and being pulled out of the track and down into the camera.

Glad to have you join us here and would like to hear of your experiences with the Panorams.

EuGene

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by B&Jdude View Post
    mhcfires:

Was that you that paid over $3,000 for that Cirkut on Flea Bay? I think I am going to have to just fix up my Panorams, 'cause one of those Cirkuts sell for more than my net worth!!

EuGene "Po' folk" Smith
    NO WAY! I couldn't believe that a Cirkut #5 would go for that much money. I thought it would go for about $1500 or so, but it went very dear in the money department. If I had that kind of money to burn I would be retired by now. . I still want a Panoram, but they are going for more than i can afford, or they are overpriced pieces of junk that even a termite would turn down. I'll get something yet, just have to wait my turn.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    mhcfires: Yes, I wrote off Cirkut cameras from my list long time ago because of the price. Not to say they aren't worth it, but they are out of my league. For the same reason, I drive a Dodge when I would prefer a Corniche or Maybach.

One can generally get a nice useable (read: Model 1 which will accept 120 film) Panoram for about $250 - $300. They generally will need some work to get the swing mechanism to operate reliably, and might need to have the bellows replaced or pinholes in it plugged with dots of black plastic rubber or silicone. Of course these repairs are the subject of this thread. You can also have it refurbished by one of the guys that specialize in Panoram repair, as previously mentioned.

Anyhoo, one can almost always find one or more Panorams on the auction block at Flea Bay. Sooner or later the very camera that you like, and a good price, will appear there. Good luck!

EuGene

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow- it (the #5 cirkut) went for that much? That is a lot. I couldn't go to completed items for some reason it look. Has the auction site turned off completed items search? I got mine for $1200 complete and working a few years back.
    On the #4 panorams, you could probably use 4x10 film and use them as a single shot camera. Don't know if you need to trim it or not. I've used 7x17 sheet film for my al vista 7F with good luck, even though I only get a shot at a time.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Jamie:

That #6 Cirkut (#280274707897) went for $3,032. Maybe you can go look at the listing, bid history, etc. by searching by the number, rather than doing a completed items type search.

If you look around, you might find a #6 for a lot less than the #5. Hint, hint.

EuGene
    Last edited by B&Jdude; 10-17-2008 at 09:04 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: fixes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by B&Jdude View Post
    mhcfires: Yes, I wrote off Cirkut cameras from my list long time ago because of the price. Not to say they aren't worth it, but they are out of my league. For the same reason, I drive a Dodge when I would prefer a Corniche or Maybach.

One can generally get a nice useable (read: Model 1 which will accept 120 film) Panoram for about $250 - $300. They generally will need some work to get the swing mechanism to operate reliably, and might need to have the bellows replaced or pinholes in it plugged with dots of black plastic rubber or silicone. Of course these repairs are the subject of this thread. You can also have it refurbished by one of the guys that specialize in Panoram repair, as previously mentioned.

Anyhoo, one can almost always find one or more Panorams on the auction block at Flea Bay. Sooner or later the very camera that you like, and a good price, will appear there. Good luck!

EuGene

At the rate things are going, I'll have to wait til after the first of the year before I can afford to go after a Panoram. There is one available on ebay right now for $300, it is supposedly in good condition. I dunno.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin