Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,874   Online: 823

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 378910111213141516 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dave:

The only hangout that I know of for panoramic photographers is the International Association of Panoramic Photographers ( http://www.panphoto.com ). I don't know how many Panoram folks are on there, as most on there seem to chat about Circuts and more modern panoramic cameras. However, Bill McBride (arguably the foremost expert on Kodak Panorams) is a member, so maybe you can connect with him and he can steer you to others.

I know of where you can get a 3A instruction book . . . e-mail me at bigusmith@yahoo.com if interested and I will let you know about that.

The 3A Panorams have lately been bringing about the same price as No. 1's on that infamous auction site, usually around $300 of so if in working condition and not too worn in appearance . . . prices do tend to swing widely, so anywhere from $150 to $450 is possible in this crazy market. Having the original cases is a plus, as one doesn't see them very often. You might clean them up, and if you know how to properly treat old leather with saddle soap. neatsfoot oil, mink oil, etc that would help, especially to soften the leather where it is cracking at the folds.

Good luck with them.

EuGene

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Speaking of that infamous auction site, there are currently three Panorams available right now. #1, 4D and 1D. The 4D looks nice, supposedly in "great shape", at a buy it now price which is way over my head. The seller will include 30 feet of aerial film to use in it. .

almost forgot the link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Kodak-Panoram-4D...3A1|240%3A1318
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hey, something screwy with that "1D" . . . the 1D had the drop down back flap and swing out sides, not the 2-piece body of the earlier models. Since the curved wood section on the front half of the camera has only the name and not a model type (B or C), I would say that camera is an original type 1. It is possible that the camera has a replacement front lens door that came off a model D parts camera, and that's where the seller got the idea it is a model D.

Don't know what the interest is in #4 Panorams, as they use old obsolete film that is a very expensive special order item (about $35 to $40 per roll), else it's a PITB what with having to cut down aero film and roll it up or cut LF sheet filmtape to the curved film plane, and use the camera as a single shot camera. In spite of the hassles a #4 will usually bring about the same money as a #1 . . . for the most part destined to become collectors' shelf queens, I suppose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wondered about the "1D" because it looked to me like a #1. You are probably right about a new door as a replacement. As for the 4D, I would probably use it if I were to get it. I like the challenge of using old stuff like that. I would love a 3A, The film is still somewhat available, I have about eight rolls of 122 film, Verichrome Pan. I am using it in my postcard camera. It is a PITA to put on a reel for development, but I did manage to adapt a Unicolor reel to take the 92mm wide film. When I run out of film I'll look for some aerial film to slit and rewind onto 122 spools. I still have the backing paper. Very careful with that stuff.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Michael:

I guess I'm too lazy to cut and roll my own film and too much of a miser to buy those obsolete types, so I guess I'll just stick with my three #1 Panorams that use 120 film.

I have two #4C Panorams that I use as repair and maintenance training aids. The best one, when I get it all fixed up real nice, will be sent back as a gift to the guy I bought it from. I haven't decided what I will do with the other, but have been leaning toward donating it to our local historical society museum.

By the way, just as an indicator of the crazy camera market during these troubled economic times, the last two #1 Panorams, both in similar condition, sold for about $350 for the first and then $83 for the second one week later. I bought a real nice #1D (with the gear/ratchet timing mechanism) for $49 BIN price. There is no way to predict camera prices in today's crazy market. I have recently bought two mint Super Ikontas, one for $280 and one for $65. ????

Smiff

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the info. I tried panphoto.com but signing up to see and post on forums seems to not work. I've been awaiting admin approval for days now. I'll poke around and see where I can find interest. Cheers,
    Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    By the way, that nice looking Panoram, apparently a No. 1 Original model, advertised as a 1D, sold for $183 last night. Like I mentioned earlier, in this current economic malaise the prices that Panorams are commanding on FleaBay has been swinging wildly between too little and too much. A reasonable price for a nice (not mint) Panoram No. 1 should be between $200 - $250.

There are often some real dogs sold on FleaBay, so one has to watch closely, and ask questions. One example, not a Panoram but rather an Al Vista panoramic, is a very obvious junker that is worth about $30 - $40 as a parts camera, but the seller wants a BIN of almost $200 (a reasonable price for a good one) for it. So far he has relisted it a couple of times, but nobody has bought it. Caveat emptor!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by B&Jdude View Post
    By the way, that nice looking Panoram, apparently a No. 1 Original model, advertised as a 1D, sold for $183 last night. Like I mentioned earlier, in this current economic malaise the prices that Panorams are commanding on FleaBay has been swinging wildly between too little and too much. A reasonable price for a nice (not mint) Panoram No. 1 should be between $200 - $250.

There are often some real dogs sold on FleaBay, so one has to watch closely, and ask questions. One example, not a Panoram but rather an Al Vista panoramic, is a very obvious junker that is worth about $30 - $40 as a parts camera, but the seller wants a BIN of almost $200 (a reasonable price for a good one) for it. So far he has relisted it a couple of times, but nobody has bought it. Caveat emptor!

I think that some people get greedy. I will gladly pay the price for something that is worth what I feel it is worth to me. I won't pay an exorbitant price for a piece of junk which would be rejected by my trash can. Some of that stuff is really miserable. I have been looking for a usable Panoram, but I'm also looking for a decent 4x5 Graflex and/or Speed Graphic. They are out there, and hopefully there will be a few left when I'm able to fix this hemorrhage in my pocketbook.

Smiff, you need to post some of your work with the #1.
    Michael Cienfuegos

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The al vista on the auction site looks like a 3B, which took 3.5" x 9" photos on #101 film. The al vistas are fun cameras to use but tend to be beat up, as they weren't all that well made. Birch (or something like it) plywood, which tends to delaminate with age, is the base for the camera. That camera could be made usable probably, but would require a lot of restoration and is way over priced for that. I've had to re glue and clamp the laminations together on a bunch of cameras, and have replaced the bellows on a few as well. It's all doable with time but takes some figuring out too. I have information on my web site on al vistas if anyone has an interest in them

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Michael:

I am still pretty much hung up on film and haven't yet learned how to do digital stuff like putting pictures online.

I did take some 35mm pix to Wal Mart and using their scanner kiosk, load them onto a CD. I then put 6 of them on Flickr, BUT, I don't remember how I did it, nor do I have a clue how to go back on Flickr even to find and view them.

I am in the Minolta Manual Focus, Kodak Brownie, and Folder Camera groups and have tried to learn how to put pictures off of the CD onto those groups' mini galleries which accompany each forum, but so far have not understood the instructions that I have received, so I just gave up.

Jamie:

I think I prefer my Panorams to the Al Vista, even if that one on FleaBay was in nice operating condition. Since the Panorams use cheap 120 film, giving a nice 2 1/4" x 7" negative, shoot pix with the lens swing in both directions (no capping the lens to cock the camera), and are very sturdy, they meet my needs.

Right now, I'm just waiting for the time when Spring shall have sprung so I can go outside to burn up some innocent film . . . when it's cold I just stay in my cave and hibernate!!

Smiff

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin