Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,292   Online: 1119

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5910111213141516 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Panoram No.1 Film Plane Diameter

Hi Jeff, Measurements from a No.1 (no model number so the first #1 model).

I took the measurements twice. Once from the underside of the camera, from the centre of the hole where the screwhead that holds the lens pivot is located to the edge of the wooden film plane. And also inside the camera using calipers from the centre of the lens pivot rod out to the edge of the side wall (holding the film roller). Both sets of measurements corresponded. Hope they are helpful.

If you are making new parts for the Panoram No.1 and make a new shutter release arm, myself and a few others may be interested, as that appears to be one of the commonest parts to stick/wear on these old cameras. Regards Stuart

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Kodak used chamois impregnated with lampblack...chamois passes light,a supple glove leather works great,deerskin or goatskin,check your local cobbler for a piece. I rebuilt a #1

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm new to the forum and panoramic photography (usually it's stereo or B & W with a cheap Kodak). I was wondering if anyone has a pattern for a bellows for a Panoram Model 1D? Any help would be appreciated!

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak panoram repair

I am trying to repair my panoram,the lens swings while operating the load lever.
    I hope to drop the mechanism plate on the top inside, I have removed the light "horn"but cannot free the bottom bearing screw to free the vertical lens support which appears to have the upper bearing on the mechanism plate. NORARon alerted me to the retaining nail that I have now removed- thanks, but I still cannot turn the lock nut or the adjusting screw accessible through the base, although I have flooded them with release oil.Any suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Looking for a Kodak Panoram #1 fixer upper

Greetings,
    An old thread, but I thought I'd see if anyone was still listening:
    I bought a Kodak #4b 15 years ago but it has sat idle for the most part: loading halved sheets of 8x10 got old, quick. Got the bug again and am searching for leads on Panoram #1's that take 120 film. Any ideas?

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi all,
    New person on this site. Anyway I discovered this site after searching for info about a panoram 1. I just read every comment in all 15 pages here. Wow, learned a lot, and saw some wonderful pictures one of you posted. I produce fine art photography and do custom framing. I have a huge collection of vintage cameras from the 1800s to today. I have been taking pictures with a 1929 brownie folding bellows camera, a 1950 Revier stereo camera, and a 1950s twin reflex camera. I recently got 620 film and will be using a couple of other old cameras. Well I got the Panoram just for display, but it seems to work properly and after hearing of your success, well I just gotta start using it!
    Thanks all of you for your wisdom and enthusiasm,
    Albert Mach
    Thanks so much,
    Albert Mach

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hello, Albert.

I've been off of APUG for quite a while as I went through 3 months of radiation treatment for laryngeal cancer in '09, had a change of jobs, and am now recently retired. I haven't touched a film camera (including my Panorams) in about 1 1/2 years, so I am hoping to get my dusty Panorams out and try shooting with them again.

It has been so long since I have used them or worked on them that I need to read all of this thread then go practice in order to bring back all of my forgotten memories.

Smiff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by B&Jdude View Post
    Hello, Albert.

I've been off of APUG for quite a while as I went through 3 months of radiation treatment for laryngeal cancer in '09, had a change of jobs, and am now recently retired. I haven't touched a film camera (including my Panorams) in about 1 1/2 years, so I am hoping to get my dusty Panorams out and try shooting with them again.

It has been so long since I have used them or worked on them that I need to read all of this thread then go practice in order to bring back all of my forgotten memories.

Smiff
    Sorry to hear that you have been on the disabled list, hope all is well. Will be looking forward to seeing something from your panoram. I don't use mine too often, but I do like to get it out every now and then. I love those big transparencies.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    So what pushes arm 48 (in patent 693,583) up, so that it will engage the two holes 47 in lever 45? I see no sign of a spring. Is the screw at the shutter button end supposed to be tight enough to hold it up? Mine works fine (now that I adjusted spring 61), but I have to hold up the shutter button while cocking. Arm 48 is perfectly willing to fall down and not latch up lever 45 when cocking.

It would almost make sense for there to be a small spiral spring on the longer screw that holds arm 48.

I'm planning to replace the non-existent bellows on mine with some rubberized nylon from a cheap Chinese changing bag. (I cut it up yesterday to make new bellows for a Autographic Kodak Special No. 1 Model B. I hated that changing bag.) Pretty similar to shutter cloth, but a looser weave.

Thankfully, a prior owner already made bushings to make the pins larger in diameter to hold the 120 spools.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well, I've determined that there is supposed to be a spring at the heel of the shutter lever. Remove the film spool clip at the bottom right of the camera. This reveals a hole through which you can thread a screwdriver to remove the pivot bolt for the shutter lever. There's a recess to the right of it where a spring belongs. Your classic "ball point pen spring" is the right size, I cut about a 1/4" length. My mechanism now works well.

Other notes. I decided I needed a small thrust washer at the top of the pivot shaft. Not so much to reduce friction, as to move it downwards a tiny bit. I was having trouble getting enough clearance for the swinging hood on the back of the lens, it was catching on the pivot bolt of the shutter lever. That, and a little force with pliers, got the clearance.

There presently aren't any leather flaps at the ends of the swing, there's residue that looks like there may have been. Anyone else with a No. 1 want to let me know if they have leather flaps there?

So the mechanism is working fine, now I'm just figuring out the right size, shape, and folding for the new bellows, which I'm making from rubberized nylon changing bag cloth. Thankfully I have a No. 3A with original bellows to look at how they did it there.

Then I presume I'll have to put onionskin paper across the film plane to fine-tune the focus. I presume one normally focuses it at 20 feet?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin