Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,988   Online: 995

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 610111213141516

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Everyone talks about adjusting the focus on their Panorams, but what distance do you focus it at, once you have a ground glass substitute at the film plane?

Kodak says that group portraits should be at a minimum of 20 feet from the subject. Now, with a 90mm focal length, and f/11 aperture, I suppose I can use a depth of field calculator. That shows focusing at 40 feet gives focus from 18.3 feet to infinity. Is that the sort of distance folks are focusing them at?

I did a first try at focusing at 20 feet, which may or may not have been very accurate, but distant objects are NOT sharp at all.

I've used rubber coated nylon changing bag as a bellows. I may not have made it quite baggy enough, the slower shutter speed isn't very reliable about swinging all the way. Or maybe it's too stiff compared to the original chamois. Of course with ASA 100 film (as opposed to the ASA 25 film it was designed for), I'd normally be using the faster shutter speed. So I'm not super concerned.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Actually, anything off the lens axis is not sharp. My hunch is that someone got the meniscus lens installed backwards after taking it out of the mount for cleaning. Easy enough to test.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Lance18 -- you have to loosen the square nut at the top of the bearing screw (inside the camera) before you can loosen the bottom bearing screw.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well, nobody else seems to be responding here, but I'll respond to myself. The meniscus lens was indeed in my Panoram No. 1 backwards. The concave side should face the subject. Huge difference in the appearance of the photos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread, especially the OP.

I am awaiting delivery of a Model 3A in unknown condition, so I expect the information in this thread will be very useful. I am ordering some 122 film from the 2013 Ilford ULF custom run, and look forward to exposing some giant rollfilm.
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by filmamigo View Post
    I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread, especially the OP.

I am awaiting delivery of a Model 3A in unknown condition, so I expect the information in this thread will be very useful. I am ordering some 122 film from the 2013 Ilford ULF custom run, and look forward to exposing some giant rollfilm.
    there was a minilab down the street from me and the owner ( now deceased ? ) had a big one like that on the top shelf as a "curiosity" piece.
    i tried to buy it from him but no-go then the shop moved, and the new location no longer had the camera.

have fun with that giant roll of film, i use a 3A graflex and that film is 3+inches wide ! you are going to have some beautiful views!

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format

Manuall for Panoram-Kodak No.4, Model D

I'm looking for the manual for the Model D of this camera. I found the one for the No. 4 but there are many differences. A PDF copy would be great. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by B&Jdude View Post
    Jack:

The No 4 came out first, in 1899, used type 103 film, and had no door on the front, then they added the door in 1900, but still called it a No. 4 with no letter. Also in 1900 the No 1, with no letter, came out using 105 film . . . 105 was the same size as 120 film, but had smaller holes in the spools, which is why 120 film spools are a bit wobbly in these cameras. Both models opened for film loading and unloading by splitting the case into 2 pieces along a curved joint. Both the early #1 and #4 had Rapid Rectilinear lens as standard equipment, but some could be special ordered with early Goerz pre-Dagor lenses.

The Panarams went through B and C versions which were substantially the same as the original except the lens was changed to a meniscus lens and various other minor changes such as adding 3 metal plates on the sides of the film track to help keep the film from jumping out of the track, placement of the bubble level, etc.

Then, somewhere in the 1920's the D version came out which dispensed with the 2 piace case in favor of a case which opened by the back hinging downward and the sides swinging outward which exposed the insides for film loading and unloading (on the film winder side, the carrying strap had to be unclipped from the top of the camera so that side could swing open).

There were variations in the #1 & #4 D versions, as well. Some had two levels and tripod mounting threads, on on top and one on the side, so the camera could take horizontal or vertical (such as of a waterfall or tall building) shots. Some had a gear-ratchet speed control mechanism located on the bottom of the swivel lens shaft.

Lastly, near the end of Panoram production, the 3A model (the only Panoram using the A letter designation) was produced for about 2 years between 1926 - 1928. It was similar to the #1D & #4D except that it used type 122 film and many (if not all) had a 2 position speed changing lever separate from the tensioning lever.

Some of the other folks on here may have more specifics to add, especially dates/years regarding when these various iterations in the Panoram cameras occurred.

EuGene

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 610111213141516

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin