Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,936   Posts: 1,585,632   Online: 736

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Karl:

Well, I talked to Ken this afternoon and it looks like my laundry list of needed repairs will add up to a lot of shekels, a little over $300 like yours. I suppose I can't complain, as I paid only $93 for the little beast as a fixer-upper, and will end up with an ugly $400 Panoram . . . that's not a bad price for a camera which is functionally same as new. If they work the same, then pretty and ugly will take the same pictures, and that's all that matters to me.

Of course, I gotta start robbing liquor stores to come up with the $$ to pay for the repairs!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    By the way folks, if you want to see (and print out) the patent for the Panoram mechanism which has some real nice drawings of all the parts, just go to http://patft.uspto.gov On the left side of the opening page there is a link that says "View Patent Full-Page Images" -- click on it and it will take you another page that has a box filled with 8 zeros at upper left and a button labeled "View Patent".

Position your cursor at the right side of the box and Backspace to remove 6 of the zeros, then type in the patent number, 693583. There should be 2 zeros to the left of the number just typed (else it will not find the patent) . . . if the patent number is correct & with the two leading zeros, then click the VIEW PATENT button and it will come up. Then you can print out the patent (6 pages) if you wish.

EuGene
    Last edited by B&Jdude; 09-09-2008 at 05:05 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarification

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    Which model do you have? I have a No.1 with a broken swing mechanism. I tried disassembling the camera only to find the metal parts were not removeable after the wood parts were glued together.
    Luckily the glue they used is hide glue and is water soluble.
    It's not the camera......

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    freygr:

You wouldn't happen to have any experience disassembling a Panoram. would you? (I hope...I hope...I hope)

EuGene

Shooter
    Multi Format

Panoram depth of field

Quote Originally Posted by karl View Post
    I've thought about a sort of pinhole slip on lens cap in order to get some more depth of field. It would be nice to have something that works as an smaller aperture.
    There was a posting on one of the panoramic photography sites a couple years ago that showed a very nice shot of the San Francisco Bay bridge in focus from near to far taken with a no 1 Panoram. The photographer made up some aperture reducing inserts to insert into the front of the lens "shade" out of snug fitting rubber faucet washers that had various sized pieces of thin aluminum glued on with holes made with common drill bits. I've tried this. Removing the faucet washers is a challenge. I can't say much for my results because I think my lens may be out of register with the film plane from when the "bellows" material was changed. Checking focus is not easy on one of these. It sits on the shelf waiting for motivation or a trip to Ken Ruth
    Jack

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yeah, Jack, my model 1 Original (no letter) is in Ken's capable hands at this time, and it also suffers from the out of focus problem, among a long list of others. Anyhoo, he is working on it now and hopefully will have all the issues fixed soon.

I would think it might be easier to use push-on ND filters rather than faucet washer "waterhouse stops" to control overexposures. Either make them yourself or search FleaBay for 19mm push-on adapters for series 1 (21.5mm) or series 4 (20.8mm) ND filters. Push on holders certainly would be easier to remove than the washer inserts . . .and I suppose they would be less likely to vignette. Also, they could hold other filters (e.g., #8, #11, #15, #23, etc.) when desired.

By the way, the patent number mentioned in a previous post (#693583) is actually a revision of a prior patent (#689159), with the latter offering more details of the whole Panoram camera body, not just the swing lens mechanism. This was pointed out to me by Bill McBride, an authority on the Panorams, so you might wish to print out that 2nd patent to add to your Panoram file. Now to find and photocopy an owner's manual!!

EuGene
    Last edited by B&Jdude; 09-11-2008 at 04:37 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: corrected Bill McBride's name (Frank is an Atty in VA)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ron (NOLARon) gave me a link to some folks in the UK that offer a copy of the Panoram owners manual, so I decided to take a chance and ordered one. We'll see what I come up with on the deal.

"Behold the lowly turtle . . . he must stick his neck out to get ahead."

EuGene

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Thanks for that earlier number.
    It won't work in Google PAtents but just fine at USPO
    I tried searching F.A. Brownell, the inventor, in Google Patents but likewise a bust.
    Unfortunately, USPO won't search that far back by inventor

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Now, what I would like to find is a patent for the gear and ratchet speed control used on the later model D panorams. I'm referring to the gears mounted at the bottom end of the swinging lens shaft.

I can't imagine that Kodak would introduce that new method of controlling the speed of the swinging lens and not protecting it with a patent. I checked with Bill McBride, a leading expert on the Panoram, and he knows of no such patent ever having been obtained by Kodak.

It is possible that the basic design was invented and patented by another person or company and Kodak made their mechanism under a license from the patent holder. I don't know where to look . . . it is quite possible that mechanism was actually designed to govern the speed of some other device unrelated to cameras.

EuGene

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I just bought a clunker on FleaBay (#120305614821) for $50, and now I have not only a parts bed, but also a camera on which I can practice disassembly, repairs, adjustments, reassembly, etc. This thing is on a roll now!

EuGene

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin