Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,723   Posts: 1,514,999   Online: 1232

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK. Here's where I'm at on the bellows...
    The pigskin is quite thin and has a suede surface. It was the closest thing to the original that they had at Tandy. Unfortunately, it had pinholes throughout. The young woman explained that these were follicles and all of their thin leathers would have them. She said that some animals could have fewer (perhaps goat) - but there were no other skins in stock that were as close to the original bellows as the pigskin. I couldn't wait. Pigskin it is.
    She suggested I seal the pores with Johnson's Floor Wax (!?). She said that mink oil might work but would leave a residue that could rub off. They only sell leather by the "skin" so I had plenty to experiment with. Wax does not work. I then tried Camp Dry silicone leather spray with a dark furniture wax over the top. The idea was the silicone would plug the follicles and the dark wax would stop the light. Did not work. Then I tried Plasti Dip. I think it worked!
    I found the Plasti Dip at the Home Depot next to the spray paint. It comes in different colors- I opted for black of course. The container resembles a small tennis ball can. I used a small brush to apply it. Put the first layer on liberally brushing in one direction. Waited about 30 minutes then applied a second liberal coat across the grain of my first coat. Let it dry overnight. Now the pigskin has a layer of rubber on the inside similar to rubberized light tight cloth. The rubber appears to be of a decently lasting quality. For clean up and thinning of the Plasti Dip I used naptha (lighter fluid). Do keep this in mind if you use naptha to clean the camera mechanism as it can melt your rubber layer. The pigskin did lose a bit of its flexibility, but it still seems sufficient for a Panoram bellows. Also the rubber dries with a glossy surface- I would prefer matte. I'll update after I mount it in my camera. should have some time for that next week.

The Plasti Dip might also be a good seal for those of you that are needing to fill light leaks around the doors. (I swear I don't work for these people)

For reattaching the exterior leather I've been using Orange Shellac. It can be removed/cleaned with denatured alcohol. This doesn't make the bond as permanent as glue, but has sufficient strength. Orange shellac was traditionally used to hold pen sacs in fountain pens,so pen restoration suppliers would be where to look for this. I ordered a small bottle of this product from Pendemonium. It was inexpensive.

I'm mulling over the adapter/shim for a better 120 spool fit. I am going to be building adapters to fit 120 in my 4-D so I'll be exploring that soon. Perhaps some gaffer's tape for a quick fix fit. Let us know if you come up with anything. I'll update after installing the bellows - prob. at the end of next week.
    Ron

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Do you think that black shoe polish (the wax type, like Kiwi brand) would be light tight?
    "There are two ways to avoid most trouble in life: live below your means... and within your seams."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLARon View Post
    As for a bellows. I did get a nice piece of soft, almost velvety pigskin in black to use. I think it will work well. We'll see.
    Did you buy the Velvet Pigskin Suede Black, #9120-01?.

Lucky for me I just looked up Tandy's website and found a location nearby.
    "There are two ways to avoid most trouble in life: live below your means... and within your seams."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Frank, I suspect that any sort of wax would come out of the pores as the leather is flexed. Wax tends to harden and crumble easily, and just doesn't lend itself to any sort of bending. Ron might be on the right path with the Plasti Dip if it will seal the pores from leaking light, without adding any significant stiffness to the pigskin. As for the shiney surface of the Plasti Dip, that could be a problem . . . I wonder if there is some sort of blace plastic sealer that yields a flat black surface?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Panoram bellows

I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to use shutter material for a bellows?? It wouldn't be as in the original but it may work.. ??

Jack

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Jack:

I thought about something similar, using either shutter cloth or dark cloth material (Porter's used to sell the latter, but may not any more). Put the black dyed pigskin on the outside with the cloth on the inside, either loose or glued to the leather with something like rubber cement. The shutter material is so flexible that it should have no discernable effect on the flexibility of the lens membrane (bellows).

I guess I can try the leather-cloth combo idea out on the Panoram 4C that I have been using for a repair training aid. It might take a while while I order the stuff to use for practice. As for "originality", since the original felt-leather type material is no longer made, one can at best only go for something that presents the original appearance, but which is also functional.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    OK, since Porter's doesn't have the dark cloth material any more, where would I find shutter cloth?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    EuGene:
    The people that sell camera repair tool show it on their website. I know of someone who was able to buy large enough to repair a Graflex shutter: http://www.micro-tools.com/store/Sea...tegoryCode=RES
    Or a search on Google for shutter curtains turned up this from the LF forum: http://www.lungov.com/wagner/DIYShutterCloth.html
    Thanks for the patent sheets and the missing Panoram sheets BTW
    Jack

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Haven't read all the posts, but a friend sent me the following shop via email. He'd had them do work on his Panoram, and he was pleased with the results:

Panorama Camera Center
    124 West 30th Street
    Suite# 305
    New York, NY 10001
    Tel. 212-563-1651
    email: panoramacam@aol.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Doug:

Thanks for that info . . . we have very little knowledge of who works on Panorams. We have been attempting to share experiences here in order to learn how to fix our cameras ourselves, as it seems very expensive to have them repaired. I tried calling the number, but inasmuch as it is almost 7:00 PM in NYC, I will have to try again on Monday.

EuGene

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin