Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,930   Online: 1194

Shooter
    Medium Format

Isolette II parts and questions re: broken film advance screw

(I meant Isolette III wrong title)

Didn't know where to put this so I cross posted in a couple of categories, hope that's ok..

Just found you guys and have a question..

I have an Agfa Isolette III and I stupidly snapped off the screw that holds the film advance knob on.

I was taking the top off to do some cleaning..the screw was tight, started turning...snap.

I have two issues...one: a source for a new screw. Hopefully, the exact screw for the sake of staying vintage.

Second: Drilling out the shaft of the old screw...

I spose I plan on putting a few drops of penetrating oil into the screwhole where the broken screw rests and letting that soak for a few days.

Then, with a very small drill bit, getting a starter hole going in the screw shaft...

After that???

Using a backwards screw puller? Not sure if they make those small enough for this...or, figuring a way to get hold of the screw to get it to turn. there is no wa I can see to get a dremel in there to create new slot on the top of the screw shaft.

Any help on this would greatly appreciated.

One more thing actually..I'm considering doing a bellows replacement..any sources for well made, well fitted bellows for an Isolette III?

Thanks all..

Dave
    Last edited by ChicagoDave; 10-21-2008 at 02:27 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: subject title error

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello....

If you can find a small enough left hand twist drill it may back the screw out. They make very small left hand bits. A gunsmith may be able to help you. Hope his will help.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    psboon,

I got it out by slowly scribing a slot in the top of the shaft (a harder metal blade vs softer brass) with a very sharply pointed knife until it would accept a jewelers screwdriver.

Once the oil did it's work it came out easily. Ha, "easily" after I figured out that it was a screw with reverse threads. That's why I broke the darn thing, trying to remove by turning lefty-loosy. Sometimes you learn the hard way.

I appreciate your comment, thanks

Now I just need a source for a screw to match the one I broke.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Watch ebay for old parts cameras. You may even win one in nicer shape than yours.
    "There are two ways to avoid most trouble in life: live below your means... and within your seams."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Frank,

Doing that as we speak..thanks

This little baby is in pretty nice shape, except for this darn screw. Though, my head hurts from banging it against the wall after I realized what I had done

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need the screw size (diameter), threads per inch or cm, thread direction ( right or left ), overall length, threaded length and the head type. Master McCar has a page with the different screw heads.

For small screws try this link: http://www.microfasteners.com/
    For larger screws try these links:
    http://www.nutty.com/
    http://www.mcmaster.com/
    It's not the camera......

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin