Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,545   Online: 1062

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may well have problems using the 75mm lens on bellows as it may not have sufficient compression to allow infinity focus. I have an f1.9 75mm Dallmeyer and that won't work on bellows, also the shutter's too large. These are usually oscilloscope lenses designed for macro work.

I'd assumed incorrectly that you were wanting to do the same as discussed in the other thread

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So the idea is to have a 35mm camera, put a body cap with a hole on that, and then attach that to bellows or whatever to then attach to another lens?

Well one thing you can do is get a cheap 2x3 camera and make lensboard adapters for that. It's easy to mount a 35mm camera to a lensboard, and it's also easy to slap an LF lens on there. Something like a 2x3 Galvin or mini graphic or whatever will give you a (fairly) stable focusing frame and a straightforward way to connect to the camera. You can make that connection as simple or as elegant as you wish. E.g. just get an extension tube for your 35mm camera and attach it to a lensboard and off you go. You could also use a body cap but I think you will find that you want more space between the camera and the (rear) lens board. an extension tube would give you more stability and all the space you need.

Incidentally the Chinese company "shelro" used to have something like this. You might look at their solution, it might inspire you.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ian & bhorn:

Sorry if I muddied the waters, as I thought we were talking about using some view camera lenses on a 35mm body. Apparently I am getting too senile or something, 'cuz I went off on a tangent back there!

EuGene

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Thanks for all the comments. Sorry for posting this twice. I didn't know if that other thread was fallow at this point.

Yes, I plan to use my 35mm bellows for focusing. I am aware that some of my lenses wont focus to infinity with this and am fine just using those for close focus work.

I had thought at one point of making a plate for the back of my Busch Pressman but I want something smaller and lighter.

If this works I may try making a tilt-shift bellows to do this with as well. I've seen some on eBay but they usually go for more than I want to spend.

I may also try making a short helical focus attachment for shorter lenses, adapting a Lensbaby or making something similar to one.

Cheers,

Bruce Horn

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

First attempt moderately successful

I made the first of these body cap mounts last weekend and it worked moderately well.

One question though, how do you all mark the exact center of a circle. I read advice somewhere to draw an "X" on it and mark the intersection but I am skeptical as to how precise that was. Is there a better way?

Thanks,

Bruce

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Hole saw worked tolerably well. I drilled at slow speed in short bursts of about 1/2 a second each and it didn't melt. A bit with less surface area in contact with the plastic would have been better, a forstner or a variable size bit.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    You were right by the way Ian, the 75mm would not focus with the bellows. The front and back standards of the bellows combined were too deep. However, the the lens does focus to infinity about 50-100mm in front of the lens mount so I am thinking of building a little bag bellows for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't fuss over dead center of the cap. I just drill a big hole right through, then mount a thin copper sheet with a pinhole on that, with tape, and move it around until I get what I want.

I make my pinhole in the copper by finger drilling it with a pin. The results are perfectly acceptable to me.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Thanks Keith,
    As well as the question of whether the hole is truly dead center, it also turns out that the hole is a little too big because the kerf of the hole saw is slightly wider than the thread of the shutter. If I decide to continue using this I may try putting a triangular cross-section washer in between the flange and the shutter to center it better.

The only problem that I have had with the images from this lens are that any images with a light background have a large circle of what looks like flare to me slightly off-center covering perhaps 1/8 of the image. It is washed out and soft. The fact that it is slightly off center is what made me think that the lens might not be exactly centered. I'll try it with a lens hood next time but I think the flare might me inherent in this lens when using it with a digital sensor. I only had time for a few shots before it got too dark but I think stopping it down might have improved that a bit.

Next attempt will be a Xenotar 80mm f2.8 but I think that might have the same problem as the 75mm focusing to infinity. Oh well, even for close-ups it will be fun. If I can get it to work reasonably well I may buy some longer lenses as those actually should be fairly useful with this setup.

Thanks,

Bruce Horn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Could you post an image of your project? I think I am still not quite clear on what you've made, sorry!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin