Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,505   Posts: 1,543,485   Online: 1032

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Trail Camera 3D Skin Making

Do you know trail cameras ? People hang them to the woods and photograph the visiting animals with the 100 year expectation of photographing yeti.
    Now I love their three dimensional skins.
    I read somewhere about mixing two paints very careful and applying on to the camera. You dont have to mix too much.
    Do you know a expert on them ? Or a book to craft these wood like skins , special paints , tricks etc ?

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After the first sentence, you lost me. What is a three dimensional skin? Are you talking about painting the camera to resemble its background? camouflage?
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hi Johnnywalker , yes , it is sculpture , very very thick , looks like a tree surface.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    yes , three dimensional camouflage

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have no expertise in this, but if it's animals you're trying to photograph I doubt if it would be necessary to camouflage the camera for their sake. I'd be more worried about moisture and dust getting at the camera.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Camouflage is mostly for people; animals aren't so easily fooled.

The main problem with paint is that it smells, and that matters to animals.

Look up "marbling".
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    He's perhaps asking about a technique of adding texture that looks like tree bark (uncannily like the real thing) to the surface of a Pelican case, most likely this:
    http://www.easy3dcamo.com/

I believe they're talking about using construction adhesive that comes in caulk gun cartridges to be used for the final 3D skin on the trailcam box, and about using a silicon rubber mold to make it. Last I'd checked, the molds were no longer offered by the website above but it might give the OP inspiration to make his own.

Yes, it's mostly for people that you need to hide a trail cam but that's not insignificant. Trail cams get stolen all the time, unfortunately it's the flash that'll give them away regardless of camo unless you use IR-only filtered flash with IR film/ digicam sensor. Dope growers and poachers don't like to leave evidence behind. (They're also likely wearing night vision goggles that will see the flash, nowadays.)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Pupfish , Thank you very much. Best way is to mold a tree surface with silicon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I must have been in a hurry this morning. Revise that to say silicone rubber, the kind with a consistency to be is used in mask and mold-making. Here in California movie prop supply houses would be a good source; I don't know what to tell you about how to find it in Turkey, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An old climber I met once posted a sign at a parking area that was frequented by car prowlers. It said something like "Don't leave valuables in car", the thieves didn't like this sign so they kept stealing it. He found a simple solution to this problem (for him)- he found a tree with a tall bare trunk and no low hanging branches and used his climbing gear to go up about 30 feet and put the sign there. No one stole the sign after that. My point is this is probably the easiest way to make sure no one steals the camera and it will be high enough up that animals won't be bothered by it either.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin