Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,690   Online: 870

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Camera Ergonomics Design

If I want to make a customer specific camera with special order , how can I design for his hand ?
    What do I need to know about hand and how can I create the craft ?

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What is it that you need to do for his hand? Is is huge?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    2F/2F , it is more complex than that. Everyone have different flexibility at his fingers , different finger lenghts , comfort , rest.
    I am an amateur instrument builder and I learned someone from canada requesting hand scans of the customer.
    I asked to ergonomics association and they distributed my question to all docs with e mail and no idea.!!
    I really want to learn to crafting for hand science.
    I will write now to Istanbul University.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get a large block of modeling clay, and then have this individual grip the clay to mold it into shape. Then you can either have a replica of that made from wood, or get a casting made. Really very simple.

You might end up with something that looks a little like the Linhof Technika grip. Also look at the grips on the ALPA 12 series for comparison.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yes , I had been tried before to make my smoking pipe , result was very ugly and solution is blind. I want to learn the intelligence behind. I will go to medical university and ask , they create shoe soles with special order of mass producers , may be i can get algorithm to find a smooth solution to balance infinite hand positions gestures. Believe me this is a pain at the ass for me for 20 years. i will learn and publish.
    If you interest with the newest instrument making inventions , look for torzal guitar neck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oddly enough, my roommate works for Taylor Guitars making guitars. I tend to lean more towards a traditional approach. Sometimes more familiar shapes can accommodate more people, and ultimately prove more ergonomic.

Since I have ridden motorcycles for many years, I see an advantage in sticking with a certain size, shape, and orientation. In approaching a camera design, I think if you wanted to be more flexible, then allowing some adjustment of position and balance might help. You can also check out motion picture and video camera grip designs, and see another way of accomplishing things.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Given the vagaries of bone spurs, arthritis, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome-- one man's (or woman's) perfect fit-from-a-calculation is likely to be another's agony. I'd be very surprised if this field of ergonomics ever completely quantifies "comfort" let alone "support".

I've done a bit of customizing of my own photo gear over the past 3 decades.

For prototyping grips, Fimo modeling can be squeezed by the hand in question and then baked into a solid, at relatively low oven temperatures. Similarly there are fiberglass pre-preg materials (used for orthopedic casts) that are cured by UV light. Fishing tackle suppliers offer blocks of neoprene that can be easily shaped with a Dremel MotoTool fitted with a sanding drum. For more rigidity, use cork. Silicone rubber molds can easily enough be made from a prototype if you needed to cast in another material or need duplicates.

Being that it's such an art to make or find a shoemaker's last that results in a comfortable pair of shoes-- I'd think that could also turn out to be an area of research worth exploring.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin