Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,414   Online: 784

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

tripod mount and screw like?

hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knew the size of a tripod mount?

Also I am looking for a rod that has threads drilled into the shaft. The rod is inserted into a hole drilled into wood of the same size as the rod. It is like the other part of the tripod that screws into the threaded tripod mount. Does anyone know what that is called? I want to find if it is on mcmaster's.

thanks,
    Scott Hunnicutt

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    A tripod mount is 1/4 inch. I'm not clear on the rest.
    Anne

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Scott, I think what you are after is a "T" nut. If you are looking to have the piece that goes into the camera bed and the tripod screws into it this is what it is called. Be sure to get the one that you can use small screws to attach it to the bed. Do not get the one with the barbs that you have to pound in. Depending on the camera size and your tripod head you have a choice of 1/4-20 or 3/8-16. I used the 1/4-20 on my 8x10 and 8x20 and on my 11x14 I used the 3/8-16 to help support the heavier camera. I use mine without the quick release plates.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 11-12-2008 at 10:47 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: proof read!

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Scott. The standard screw mount is 1/4"-20 to be exact.

The fitting you are looking for is called a T-nut, but in brass it is also simply called a "threaded insert" like here:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...s=1695&pcs=fam

EDIT- Jim and I posted at the same time. He is right in that larger cameras, particularly motion picture cameras use the heavier 3/8 size. Most standard tripods for photo are 1/4"-20 though. I would like to know a source for the nut with the 3 screw holes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you talking about the center post which might have a hole drilled in the top for mounting a tripod head? Is it an old or new unit that you are asking about?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Would a 1/4-20 hanger bolt do what you want? It's a wood screw on one end and a 1/4-20 threaded bolt on the other end. The 1/4-20 threaded bolt would go into the tripod socket on most cameras.

http://www.boltdepot.com/images/cata...with-shank.gif

Should be very easy to find at a local hardware store.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks, everyone. The threaded insert is what I was looking for. but where do I find the threaded insert with the screw in it. mcmaster has the pound/drill hole and push in kind.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Scott, the T nut or insert is separate. The screw you will have to find on e-bay or from I think it is Bencher.com. If you google Majestic tripod heads there will be a site for parts for tripod heads. They sell the screw with the large nob on the end.

Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    1/4" 20 threads per inch. Also known as 1/4" Whitworth (well... it is over here!).

Steve
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    1/4" 20 threads per inch. Also known as 1/4" Whitworth (well... it is over here!).

Steve
    Careful.... British Whitworth thread has a 55 degree "V", Most other threads have a 60 degree "V".

Many years ago I had a 650 BSA. All British Whitworth thread. So everytime something vibrated loose (and God did that thing vibrate) I couldn't just use any nut. I had to order a whitworth thread nut.

British Lee Enfield receivers have a 1"X14tpi receiver thread, but barrel threads must be cut with a 55 degree thread to mate properly with the receiver threads.

Sometimes the clearances are sloppy enough parts will fit even though the threads are dissimilar.

In North America, threads are usually designated as UNF or UNC now. (Unified National Fine, and Coarse) and have a 60 degree "V" with a small radius at the point.

Rick.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin