Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,000   Online: 1002

Shooter
    Multi Format

how to remove glass from a hoya filter

I want to remove the glass from a hoya 40.5mm red filter, but it doesn't have a retaining ring. The glass seems to be glued to the metal. How to do this?
    rob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Generally they're held in place by either a retaining ring or spring around the front circumference of the glass.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Is the filter stuck on your lens? If so... use a strap wrench or one of those rubber bottle openers to remove it from the lens.

Most filters are held in by a spring in the slot or a screw in retainer. If it's glued in.. try soaking it in thinners or acetone (nail polish remover) over night. It may ruin the paint.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The quickest way to get the glass out is to strike it with a hammer. The smaller pieces of glass are much easier to remove and then the retaining ring will come out as well with ease.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sometimes there is a flange on the filter ring that is 'rolled over' to hold the glass in place. Hoya sometimes uses a spring wire that retains the lens. And sometimes the screw-in retaining ring doesn't have any notches in it and looks like part of the main filter ring - you either need to make a friction tool to remove it or drill a pair of holes to allow use of a spanner wrench.

You don't say if you want to save the glass, the ring or both.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry, I should have said earlier that I want to transplant the hoya glass to zodiak 30mm filter holder. The zodiak filter has a retaining ring, and it was easy to remove the glass. My 40.5mm hoya does not have a retaining ring. My 52mm hoyas do have retaining rings. Perhaps I need to cut the metal?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin