Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,958   Posts: 1,523,009   Online: 1224

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shutter Timers

Polybun

Shutter Timers

Does anyone have plans for one to construct their own shutter speed timer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For building a shutter of for testing a shutter?
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In case you are talking about testing shutter speeds, take a look at this..

http://www.davidrichert.com/sound_ca...ter_tester.htm

It works quite well.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is some good information on the F295 site. there are several electronics kits that have timers that will operate a relay, so you would just need some form of electromechanical shutter, the solenoid is the hard/expensive part to buy.

I started to design a really nice all brass shutter that I was going to use with a timer and solenoid, but never went very far past paper and pencil.

Polybun
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    For building a shutter of for testing a shutter?
    yes for testing a shutter. I should have been more specific.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ben:

You can check with Ed Romney's widow at www.edromney.com She sells his camera repair books at that site, one of which is a manual for building your own electronic shutter tester. Just go to that website, do about 3 page-downs to a paragraph "Need more information, more help?", and click the link to go to the book list.

EuGene Smith
    KA5NLY (QRP)
    Last edited by B&Jdude; 11-15-2008 at 01:31 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Fixed spelling error

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can also test your shutter by photographing a CRT monitor of known refresh rate and doing a small amount of math, but I believe this will only work for a small range of shutter speeds.

Polybun
    Quote Originally Posted by Poohblah View Post
    You can also test your shutter by photographing a CRT monitor of known refresh rate and doing a small amount of math, but I believe this will only work for a small range of shutter speeds.
    Well since you are measuring the width of the slit, It should work at just about any shutter speed. I guess actually measuring percentage of screen lighted. I've used this method to simply tell if a shutter is working properly.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Check out the Camera-fix group on Yahoo, there is information that coupled with an oscilliscope will let you time a shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poohblah View Post
    Here's an old document that I have that discusses this.... I don't recall any sources, etc.
    Attached Files
    Craig Schroeder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin