Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,819   Online: 851

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by KQED"

Aww...bnstein, your video is gone.

JBrunner, interesting cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bnstein View Post
    I think Jason takes the cake, but this is also worth a look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0ta32g9M6c
    The YouTube link to John Chiara's UUUUULF camera is dead, but this one on the KQED site works, and yes, although this is in a sense a more "ordinary" camera, it's sheer size and usage to me puts it in the "Weirdest concoctions" list too...:

http://www.kqed.org/arts/programs/sp...jsp?essid=6820

Thanks all for the great contributions so far!
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Pinhole

Pin-Speck Camera

Okay, here's a rather unusual camera. I built this several years ago. It's a "pin-speck" camera. Instead of a pinhole, it uses a front surface mirror about the same size as a pinhole.

I started with a front-surfaced mirror, from which I cut a small piece off with a glass cutter. Then I coated the mirror with black India ink, leaving a pinhole-sized spot in the middle.

The mirror is located at the apex of both pyramid-shaped enclosures, the smaller pyramid being the shutter, and the larger being the camera chamber proper, with film located at the wide base.

The attached image is from a paper negative.

~Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aug 01, 2007 001a.jpg   PinSpeck005a.jpg  

Shooter
    Pinhole

Fuji TV Lens Cardboard Camera

Here's a camera fashioned from cardboard, using a Fujinon TV lens. I expose paper negatives in the box. F-stop is adjustable; I used a lens cap as the shutter.

~Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails November 26, 2007 019a.jpg   November 26, 2007 020a.jpg   FujiLensBike001a.jpg  

Shooter
    Pinhole

5" x 7" Box Camera

This foamcore box camera used an objective lens from a 7x50 binocular. Since these pictures have been taken, I've converted this camera to use a plastic fresnel lens magnifier as a lens.

Four images of the camera, including the foamcore film holder with darkslide pulled out, and a digicam shot of the viewscreen. The screen is made from drafting vellum paper.

The B/W images taken with the camera are on paper negatives. The first image is with the binocular lens; the second is with the fresnel lens.

~Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails June 9, 2008 001a.jpg   June 9, 2008 003a.jpg   June 9, 2008 005a.jpg   June 9, 2008 010a.jpg   Bino001a.jpg  

FresnelBox001a.jpg  

Shooter
    Pinhole

Pixellator Pinhole Camera

This one is weird, even by my standards.

I wanted an analog pinhole camera that would generate in-camera images that appear to be pixellated, to simulate the appearance of a low-res digital camera.

The principle of the camera is that the lens (either pinhole or refractive) projects an image upon a translucent screen (this camera uses drafting vellum). Behind this screen is a pixellator grid, behind which the paper or film negative is placed. Each cell of the grid takes the portion of the image in front of it and averages its intensity into a square pixel of light.

Cardboard camera (basic pinhole camera building method, no magic here) with the pixellator grid at the rear. The attached image is a self-portrait onto a paper negative.

I've also included two sketches which help to illustrate the operating principle of the pixellator grid.

~Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dec18, 2006 002a.jpg   Dec18, 2006 003a.jpg   PixelJoe001a.jpg   PixellatorSketch001a.jpg   PixellatorSketch002a.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Joe, great contributions, I especially like the crazy pyramidal look of your pin-speck camera!
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Thanks, Marco. The fuzzy/ vignetted image from the Pin Speck Cam is caused by the entrance cone being covered in black adhesive craft felt, in an effort to minimize forward-scattered stray light; I need to fix that problem by removing the felt that's real close to the mirror box at the apex and just rely on flat black paint; and perhaps later build a better working version into a cubically enclosed box with a diagonal interior bulkhead, rather than pyramid cones.

Due to design limitations these cameras are limited to moderate and longer focal lengths (i.e. wide and super-wide angles of view are not possible without directly fogging the film plane.)

There's also a problem with grazing angles of view causing one side of the image to be softer (and possibly less exposed) than the other side, if the front-surface mirror has issues. You can see why this would be from the illustration I provided: light entering from the upper right grazes the mirror at a flatter angle than light entering from the other side of the cone.

~Joe
    Last edited by Joe VanCleave; 11-20-2008 at 02:39 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Writing is 90% editing

Shooter
    Pinhole
    One more unusual camera to share. I took a rather ordinary cardboard pinhole box camera (actually, one of my very first box cameras) and fashioned a kaleidoscope mirror tube to the front of the box, in the hopes of being able to photograph the world as seen through the perspective of a kaleidoscope.

The kaleidoscope tube was from a "do it yourself" kit, and uses a set of metal mirrors inside the tube. This would have worked better if I could have found a higher-quality kaleidoscope that uses a prism instead of the el-cheapo mirrors.

The attached images are again exposed onto paper negatives. I'm pointing the camera at brightly lit daytime scenes, and permitting them to be reflected multiple times through the mirrors of the kaleidoscope tube before exposing the paper.

~Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your camera's are truly amazing and wonderful, love them! Thanks for sharing here, including some of the photographic results.
    My website

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin