Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,178   Online: 870

Shooter
    35mm

I can does probably be retarded

Picked up a fungus infected lens (Nikkor 200mm f4 AI) (seems to only be on the front element) two low class nikon af bodies with broken film compartment latches and a 50mm Series e (free with purchase of the rest) with a stuck focus ring. Where to find manuals for repair or at least some advice? The 200mm I'm sure will work without cleaning off the fungus but hey might as well try my hand at it the whole lot was only $40

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The front element is held by the decorator ring, that's the ring with the f/l & f stop info on it. I use a rubber stopper held at an angle to unscrew them. Just hold the stopper at an angle & unscrew. Sometimes you will have to do this at different points around the edge to get it started.
    The 50 has been dropped or bumped & the helical has jumped a thread it was very common. Almost the entire lens has to be taken apart. About the only thing not disassembled are the aperture blades.
    If you do this take notes & mark some reference points with a scribe so you can get the timing back.
    Remove the lens mount, 3-4 screws, aperture ring, slides off- maybe a loose ball bearing, There is a guide usually with two screws in it visible from the back. If you remove it the focusing ring can be unscrewed. BUT
    if it's jumped a thread it's going to be very tight. I used to use a piece of wood or toothbrush handle & set it on the back of the ring & tap it with a (small) hammer to force it forward. If it won't go forward, you have to remove the decorator ring & force it backward. It's best if you don't remove the focusing ring from the barrel as you have eight threads inside & outside & getting everything back in place is a PITA because the lens will only focus correctly with one pair.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm pretty sure disassembly from the mount forward is going to be required. What I can't figure out is I get all the mount hardware off but then I'm faced with something with no screws to get any further. Maybe I should take it back apart and post pictures. I don't even know if I do get the focusing ring unstuck if I've done anything worthwhile as it is probably fairly broken but the experience could help later with different lenses if I can get them cheap enough.

P.S. Thanks for the reply.

Shooter
    35mm
    So while I got the lens back together and everything seems to work properly I call this a botched job... Anyone wanna tell me the best way to CLEAN a lens???

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Use pure alcohol, it leaves no residue, and a clean soft cloth.
    If the lens does not get clean this way you have a problem..... you will need some abrasive like silver-polish.
    I use that on old, otherwise not salvageble, lenses only.
    Clean aferwards with alcohol.

Good luck

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin