Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,928   Posts: 1,556,838   Online: 803

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

How to make hair spring.

I was practising repairing a Pronto-S shutter. While reassembling the exposure speed escapement, the hair spring that sets the shutter speed flew off into the sunset.

Not wanting to junk a shutter I have spent hours on, do any of you know how to make an hairspring? I took out a book on watchmaking from the Library but there were nothing on it. Out of ideas. Anyone can help?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Small springs must be made from fine spring steel. The steel must be heated to bend it. I can't remember how I had to heat treat the spring once I bent it to the right shape. Try Gunsmithing books for a reference. A gunsmith or a watchmaker should be able to help you out.

I hate it when a spring escapes its home and goes pinging off into the distance, never to be seen again!
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try here.
    http://www.ofrei.com

more Watch Tools, Watch Parts, Watch Bands & Straps, Clocks Parts, tools and parts than you can ever use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The spring thing is a concern of mine as well. Where does one find or how does one make a good shutter spring for the compur shutter in a
    Super Ikonta.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    http://home.earthlink.net/~bazillion/intro.html
    http://home.earthlink.net/~bazillion/Coiler/index.html

Obviously dealing with larger springs, but it might give you a start. You might still be able to get the small guage wire at smallparts.com or maybe Mcmaster.com, music wire will probably be good enough.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi all,

guitar strings from a music store, comes in all different sizes.

do NOT heat it to bend, you will lose the temper and spring action.

spring pliers have fully round pinchers, if you cannot find them you can modify needle nosed pliers with a file.

for coil springs try to find a cash-register repair shop if they still exist.

walk around barefoot, you will find the spring.

have fun with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You'll never find the spring! It's wherever all those missing socks go.
    But on the off chance it's still in the room if you have one of those nail picker-upper magnets you can try rolling it around the room for a while.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Make it cold...do not heat it before bending. Most springs are wound cold. The trickiest part will be deciding the right wire diameter to get the right force (assuming you know about the right number of turns and overall diameter). McMaster stocks music wire down to .009 in dia. Hobby stores may have music wire also.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    G-string compur!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Next time I have to replace the strings of my guitar I will think of you...... The thinnest is the e-string by the way

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin