Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,226   Online: 1024

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Removing the glass from Bay 1 Rolleipol

I have a Bay 1 Rolleipol with a bad foil. It would be nice if I can remove the glass and replace it with the glass from a donor filter.

I have managed to remove the the retaining ring that holds the silver and black part together, but I have not managed to remove the glass from the black part. I couldn't even figure out how they were put together.

Any ideas?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Could you send me some macro photo's of the filter, I've just my set of baj. III here.
    Willing to help.

Peter Morisson
    peter840@live.nl

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Hi Peter,

Email sent, unfortunately I don;t have digital so I did it with the webcam and a tessar len to acheive "Makro" effect, best I can manage unfortunately.

Thanks for having a look.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Hi Peter,

Thanks for your email. I also thought there is no restriction, since I don;t see any retaining rings or such. Looking at it under a loupe I couldn't find any seams either. But from the construction I am sure it is retained with a ring somehow.

Do you think the retaining ring could be bonded? Any idea what kind of adhesive they might have use?

Will try tapping it gently and if not work will try it with boiling water towards the end of the week.

Thanks again for your advise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I don't think they bonded the glass, I think the 2 foils are stuck together and you have to loosen them somehow.....
    When the glas form the lens-side comes out, you will have to remove the front glass with the tweezers I mentioned.

To unstuck the two filters I would recommend the soak in gazoline (petroleum ether) first.
    As an after thought: forget the boiling water for now.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Hamster,
    Come to think of it: if you can use an ultrasone cleaner: try that with the part that you opened allready down.
    In this way you could "shake it loose" without any risk of damage. Use petroleum ether as the fluid.
    Worth a try !

Greetings,
    Peter

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Used to Ultrasonic Cleaner to give it a good buzz today. Not both front glass and rear glass are rotating freely (so I know the glue is dissolved) and the foil in the middle is half gone.

Still don't manage to get the glass out however. Will put it on top of the radiator and see if anything happens after the water evaporated.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin