Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,120   Online: 964

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Steve, I've looked at Ray's site before but not noticed those pages. Very useful.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm

Howdy, Neighbor!

Michael,

I'm in Houston also. I could put you real close to a Zone VI 4x5 field camera. As a matter of fact, it's in my car right now. I have two friends who own 4x5 Shen Hao field cameras.

I have contemplated the same thing. The wood bits shouldn't be too difficult. The metal bits and bellows will be the hard parts.

PM me if you want to proceed further.

Cheers!

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by cooltouch View Post
    Hi Folks,

I'm new to the APUG forums and have conducted a few searches here regarding the subject line, which have borne some fruit, but not specifically for plans for a 4x5 field camera.

I build custom guitars, have my own lathe and mill in addition to all sorts of other woodworking tools, both powered and hand. I have wanted for some time to try my hand at building a nice little field camera. I'm figuring it can't be any harder to build than a guitar, eh? Er . . .

I didn't really want to go the kit route, besides I see that Bender has now closed its doors, so that's out, regardless.

You know, I can buy sets of excellent drawings for dozens of different guitars, made from world-class builders, but I haven't been able to find anything equivalent to this for, say, a Deardorff or a Gandolfi. Guess I'm a bit surprised about this.

So, given that I've come up with pretty much zilch trying to google this infio, I'm hoping that somebody here might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Michael

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    The wood bits shouldn't be too difficult.
    Bwahahaha,

as in, "I cut it 3 times, and it's still too short"

Shooter
    35mm
    Given Michael's current skill level and hardware resources, the wood bits won't be difficult.

Michael, I forgot to add that I am fluent in Autocad 3D and have the software.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Given Michael's current skill level and hardware resources, the wood bits won't be difficult.

Michael, I forgot to add that I am fluent in Autocad 3D and have the software.
    I don't doubt it
    but the saying is always worth a post
    esp from "been there done that"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Wayne, PM sent.

Yeah, the "wood bits" will most likely be the easy part. I've got about 10 board feet of cherry sitting here that's probably been seasoning for better than 20 years. I've got all sorts of tools for cutting and shaping wood. With my lathe and mill, I should even be able to fabricate some of the metal parts. I reckon I'd go with brass, since it's easy to cut and will have the right look.

Lee Valley Tools has not only a lot of cool woodworking tools, but also a very nice selection of all sorts of hardware -- hinges, knobs, locks, corners, brackets, etc.

http://www.leevalley.com/home.aspx?c=2

You'd want to click on the "hardware" tab, and then select from the choices to browse around. I reckon some of the stuff they offer could be adapted easily enough.

Best,

Michael

Shooter
    35mm
    Lee Valley Tools is almost as dangerous as some of the camera toy web pages.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You know what would be very pretty, is the brass hardware made to be dovetailed-fit flush into the wood (where/if possible)

Shooter
    35mm
    As a source for bellows google "Western Bellows". They don't seem to have a website but they have phone numbers. They used to custom make bellows to your specifications or they could make bellows for almost any camera. Not sure how they operate now.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hey,
    Does somebody have a plans of LF 4x5" Camera?
    I don't have access to english books about this subject, and I don't have money for buy new camera.
    I would be grateful for technical plans.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin