Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,346   Online: 790

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the web was here, under Repair Forum

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/articles.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    here is one of the explanations copy/pasted from forum:

"The second curtain hasn't completed it's travel and dropped the mirror back in position. Remove the lens, grasp the shutter curtain gently between thumb and forefinger, and move it towards the rewind knob side of the camera. That should drop the mirror. That will unjam it but- then it's time to find out what kept the curtain from closing in the first place."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Mamiya C330f was running about a 1/2 stop slow so i searched for someone to clean it. I tried International camera in chicago but didnt want to pay $33 for parking so i went on to the next shop (Helix) in Chicago and they said it would be up to an 8 week return time ... I cant wait that long! I searched the local Chicago forum here on Apug and found a post about Garrys Camera Repair and sent them an email. They emailed 3 days later and stated they cant service that model. ( THIS LINE IS EDITED) ( THIS LINE IS EDITED ). I dont know if that is true but that is what is was told. I searched the forum again and found a post for Daves Camera Repair in Chelsea MI and gave him a call. He called be back the same day and told that he had all the parts for my Mamiya that could be needed and explained what my issues most likely would be and quoted me a price over the phone. I was worried about shipping my camera to a stranger in another state but he impressed me with his knowledge of my shutter so i sent it off to MI. I was waiting for a call from him thinking hes was going to say the shutter is trashed and the repair would be allot more that originally thought but that didnt happen. When i spoke with him again he told me what he did to the shutter and he was fine tuning it and it was almost ready to be sent back. To end the story it was 2 weeks and 1 day from when i sent it until i received it back. My shutter runs like a Swiss watch! The price was as stated in our first conversation! Turn-around time was to my satisfaction! The only down side to the whole deal is he no longer accepts credit cards or Paypal payments so you have to mail him the payment. If anyone wants a repair guy that knows what he is doing and has fair prices.. give him a call.

Dave's Camera Repair
    Dave Easterwood
    77 Cambridge Court
    Chelsea MI
    734-433-2640
    Last edited by J Rollinger; 05-11-2009 at 10:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    J,

Thanks for the post. He's practically right around the corner from me and I have some work for him if he can do it. I plan to give him a call.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by J Rollinger View Post
    ... I searched the local Chicago forum here on Apug and found a post about Garrys Camera Repair and sent them an email. They emailed 3 days later and stated they cant service that model! ?? That comment made no sense to me at all.. If you cant CLA a twin lens Mamiya then i dont think you should service any camera. I spoke with a friend and he told me Garrys Camera is not a shop but just someone trying to make money from his house and is not a skilled camera guy...
    I assume Gary of Gary's Camera works out of his home. He does appear to specialize, focus, or limit himself to specific makes/models. That in itself certainly doesn't mean he "is not a skilled camera guy". With fewer storefront repair shops, specialization is becoming the norm. Some specialize in types of repair (i.e. leaf shutters) others in specific makes/models (Olympus, Konica, Pentax, etc).

You are certainly entitled to hold and even state your opinion that "If you cant CLA a twin lens Mamiya then i dont think you should service any camera". But to relay a comment that he is not a skilled camera guy is unfair unless you have some basis for that comment. Did he screw up a repair of your friend's camera - if so, be specific.

That doesn't take away from your positive and informative comments on Dave's Camera Repair. And here's the irony - it appears - according to google maps - that his mailing address is a residence.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    I assume Gary of Gary's Camera works out of his home. He does appear to specialize, focus, or limit himself to specific makes/models. That in itself certainly doesn't mean he "is not a skilled camera guy". With fewer storefront repair shops, specialization is becoming the norm. Some specialize in types of repair (i.e. leaf shutters) others in specific makes/models (Olympus, Konica, Pentax, etc).

You are certainly entitled to hold and even state your opinion that "If you cant CLA a twin lens Mamiya then i dont think you should service any camera". But to relay a comment that he is not a skilled camera guy is unfair unless you have some basis for that comment. Did he screw up a repair of your friend's camera - if so, be specific.

That doesn't take away from your positive and informative comments on Dave's Camera Repair. And here's the irony - it appears - according to google maps - that his mailing address is a residence.
    I never said he was unskilled! I said that i was told that and if your read the next line i said " I dont know if that it true, That is what i was told" Dave had a shop for years and moved it to his home. I just replied to a post about camera repair and mentioned what i went through to get a CLA done. I didnt set out to trash Garrys at all, I just felt that a CLA on a Mamiya should not be brain surgery. Maybe i shouldn't have inserted the ( he shouldnt work on any camera ) comment and i will edit that if Apug allows. The unskilled comment wasnt from me and i clearly stated that! Should i not tell of an experience i had and what i have been told by others? What am i allowed to say? Do i need court records to state my opinion?
    Last edited by J Rollinger; 05-11-2009 at 10:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know Garry or Dave but IMO if Garry doesn't want to service the Mamiya that's his right.
    If it were my binness rather than say it's not serviceable just say I don't work on those and let it go. There are no similarities between a leaf shutter and a focal plane shutter and the number of Mamiyas going to service in any non-specialty shop is minimal. Garry may be able to work on four or five SLR's in the same time it takes for him to do one Mamiya or he may not have spares. Other techs may do the opposite. Still comes down to it being his choice.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did Garry's put in new light seals during the CLA ?
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can recomend Ben Arnold but you will pay $100.00 + for a complete CLA / repair but it will be a complete repair with warranty. A great place for repair information is http://www.kyphoto.com/cgi-bin/forum/discus.cgi

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Alot of repairmen moved their business to their homes or retired n keep themselves busy. Digital has almost killed the reapir business for many. It takes alot of repairs to justify a comerical spot's rent where out of the home overhead is nill.

With the price of a film cameras today, you'd think twice if I said the cost of a CLA was $200 on a camera you picked up for $25? It keeps the price down and you still get the same care you would have gotten years ago.

Specializing is how I can afford to maintain a parts inventory. It's expensive and space consuming to stock parts for every camera where once upon a time I could get em directly from the manufacturer as I needed em.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin