Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,873   Posts: 1,520,127   Online: 912

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Garry's Camera Repair--Minolta X-700 Repair

I took my Minolta X-700 to my local camera store and asked them to send it out for repair (the shutter and film advance were locked up).

They sent it to someplace in Texas, which returned it saying that the camera couldn't be repaired economically, owing to corrosion.

The camera has sentimental value, so I asked around about other repair shops, and someone suggested Garry's Camera Repair.

Garry's fixed the camera and did a complete CLA for $50, and I didn't have to wait very long to get the camera back. Needless to say, I was very pleased.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    35mm
    Garys has a good reputation amongst Minolta users. He seems to do a great job. However, he does claim to have expertise he does not possess, basically claiming he can do CLA on most any camera. The one camera I sent him, a Mamiya ZE-X, came back clean, with new light seals, but as far as the "A" part in CLA, he/they did nothing. The camera was still defective.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    Garys has a good reputation amongst Minolta users. He seems to do a great job. However, he does claim to have expertise he does not possess, basically claiming he can do CLA on most any camera. The one camera I sent him, a Mamiya ZE-X, came back clean, with new light seals, but as far as the "A" part in CLA, he/they did nothing. The camera was still defective.
    Does Gary give you a guarantee?

I'm not saying Essex Camera Service can do everything, but you get a 30 day guarantee. If you ask for an "A" and they charge you for an "A", the camera has been "A'd". Otherwise you send it back or ask for a refund.

Essex doesn't accept jobs they know they can't handle. Estimates are free.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by crabby View Post
    Does Gary give you a guarantee?

I'm not saying Essex Camera Service can do everything, but you get a 30 day guarantee. If you ask for an "A" and they charge you for an "A", the camera has been "A'd". Otherwise you send it back or ask for a refund.

Essex doesn't accept jobs they know they can't handle. Estimates are free.
    Best to ask him directly. But based on my recent CLAs, he provides a 90 day guarantee.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the same camera that had the same problem, shutter/film advance locked up, and mirror locked up also. Since a coworker gave me the camera for free I felt there was no point on paying $50 or $100 for a CLA, right? So I researched for days online and found 3 potential basic problems for this camera. From problem A the easiest solution to problem C the most complicated. It turned out that by placing a butter knife into the curtain and helping it to wind in the same direction the curtain moves the whole thing was supposed to go back to normal. I did that and it worked, then it got jammed again in a different day and I tried one more time push the curtain with a finger and place a knife to reach one end of curtain and release curtain helping it to wind in position. Camera works fine (cross my fingers)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimeb82 View Post
    I have the same camera that had the same problem, shutter/film advance locked up, and mirror locked up also. Since a coworker gave me the camera for free I felt there was no point on paying $50 or $100 for a CLA, right? So I researched for days online and found 3 potential basic problems for this camera. From problem A the easiest solution to problem C the most complicated. It turned out that by placing a butter knife into the curtain and helping it to wind in the same direction the curtain moves the whole thing was supposed to go back to normal. I did that and it worked, then it got jammed again in a different day and I tried one more time push the curtain with a finger and place a knife to reach one end of curtain and release curtain helping it to wind in position. Camera works fine (cross my fingers)
    Where did you find the info on the butter knife trick? I have 2 X-700's that are locked up. Specifically how do you insert the knife without damaging the curtain?
    I bought both cameras 20+ years ago and they both locked up within a week of each other.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade D View Post
    Where did you find the info on the butter knife trick? I have 2 X-700's that are locked up. Specifically how do you insert the knife without damaging the curtain?
    I bought both cameras 20+ years ago and they both locked up within a week of each other.
    Could be a failed capacitor—it's a common problem with the X700. I thought that $50 was a very reasonable price to get my camera repaired by someone who knew what he was doing. The last thing that I would do would be to risk damaging the shutter with butter knife maneuvers.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After doing some research on line I agree about not doing the butter knife thing. Most sites say that the capacitor is the culprit. They can be bought quite cheaply from Micro Tools (6.95 for 10) and should be an easy replacement. 4 screws on the bottom plate need to be removed and the capacitor is exposed. I'm going to order them then have at it. Hopefully this will work. Theses are great old cameras. There is also a smaller capacitor under the top plate by the wind lever but it is not as likely a suspect. Gee, I actually did my homework on this one which could save money!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the capacitor was the other option, and I was planning to get there if other option failed. I admit this was risky, but the camera was given to me for free, I applied pressure in the middle of the curtain with my thumb, then one side of the curtain opened a tinny bit, you place a butter knife there or other object so you can help curtain moving to his natural direction, at one point when you feel the curtain is moving freely release the butter knife or object. In mine it didn't happen until I tried about 2 or 3 times.

I have to admit that this is very unprofessional, I used the camera this weekend and tried 2 rolls of Ektar and 1 roll of Delta100 with the camera.

I found it in a camera repair forum that had up to 4 years of messages stored and went year by year searching with Ctrl+F = minolta look up mirror.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin