Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,146   Online: 1110

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

CLA for 120 Folders?

Can anyone recommend a repairman for a CLA on a 120 folder in the United States? I have an Ercona II with a shutter which is no longer reliable (I think I messed it up by accidentally engaging the self-timer--in any case, I only got one good exposure on the last roll of film that I put through it). Jurgen Kreckel (Certo6) is well-known for this, but he is extremely busy. Are there other people with experience with these cameras, who have done good work in the past?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might try Manfred at http://www.ictcamera.com

He just repaired an older Copal 0 for me that had been deemed "unrepairable" by another shop, and at a very reasonable price. His web page says he also does shutters for folders, I don't know about the rangefinder stuff.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I, too, have an Ercona II that could use service. It sports a Tessar that's bitingly sharp.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used Ken Ruth at Photo on Bald Mountain. He did a great job on my Super Ikonta- fixed the meter too.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I, too, can highly recomend Ken Ruth at Photography on Bald Mountain, www.baldmtn.com Ken specializes in repairs to vintage folders as well as other oldies. He is currently working on my Agfa Solinette II folder and Kodak No. 1 Panoram. He has previously worked on 2 other of my Panorams and a No. 2 Brownie box, and soon I will be sending him a couple more folders, an early Zeiss Ikon A and a later Daiichi Zenobia.

I can also attest to Jurgen Kreckel's expertise, as well as how busy he is. I have bought a Zeiss Nettar and an Agfa Super Solinette that he has completely overhauled.

EuGene

Shooter
    35mm
    My understanding is that there are many repairpersons who are able to work on medium format folders, particularly their leaf shutters. Mr. Kreckel has a mixed reputation--I've personally had a positive experience w/him, but others have not & have criticized his work on the Rangefinder Forum. I think everyone agrees that Mr. Ruth is excellent (he's repaired/serviced several folders, among other cameras, for me) but he can often be backlogged, which can be a problem if you're in a hurry. Essex Camera Service in NJ has a good reputation & Frank Marshman in VA (trading as Camera Wiz) has been recommended to me in the past.
    Last edited by furcafe; 01-07-2009 at 01:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Unequalled in the quality and scope of its lenses . . . the performance of its shutter . . . the perfection of its film system . . . the adaptability contributed by its interchangeable backs . . . the efficiency of its coupled range finder . . . the convenience and precision of its variable-power view finder, the Ektra can produce finer results, throughout a wider range, than any other existing camera."
    --Eastman Kodak prospectus for Ektra, 1940

My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    There's also a company called Flutot's Camera Repair in Southern California that is very good.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Manfred "Fred" at ICT in Mountain View is my repair guy. Trained at the Leica factory. Fixes everything, including a spectacular rebuild of a Linhof that got bashed by the baggage guys at the airport. I just bought a Zeiss Ikon folder and will be taking it to him.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin