Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,578   Online: 807

Shooter
    Multi Format

Need ideas on how to repair a Graflex RH-8

My Graflex RH-8 has one of its locking tabs(?) broken off - see the example picture. I am thinking of just file down the original tab position and epoxy a piece of aluminum rob in place. Anyone has a better idea? Please do keep in mind that I only have simple hand tools and like to keep both cost and complexity as low as possible. Thanks.

Jason.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails broken rh-8.JPG  
    Last edited by JasonC; 01-07-2009 at 09:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If need be, you can drill a small hole in the replacement part and use a small and some epoxi glue to hold it into place.
    What is that area made off anyway ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is made of aluminum. Drilling is not possible. The broken tab is less than 1/8" thick.

Jason.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    But the part you will attach the repair-piece looks thicker than that, I was thinking of an M1.4 or M1.7 with a recessed head, just to be shure.
    (1/8" is about 3mm,) But you will need some fine-mechanics tools like a file and a small drill-bit.
    Make the replacement part so "large" that it covers the raised part within your yellow circle.

Just glue-ing the broken part back where it belongs..... if you have it, try Crazy-glue, but I doubt whether it will hold.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Peter,

Thanks for your input. I don't have the original piece and I don't think it will hold by glue only. I am thinking along the line of make a larger piece and glue it on top.

Jason.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    That's what I ment in the first place. Sorry you are so far away from me (I am in Brazil now, most of my tools for it are in The Netherlands.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might want to try 5 minute epoxy. Make sure the parts to be joined are clean. Degrease with lighter fluid before you bond the pieces together. With aluminum, lightly sand off the oxidized layer on the surface just before you apply the epoxy for a better bond. You don't need much epoxy to make a good bond. Use tweezers so the oil from your fingers doesn't affect the bond. (and your fingers don't stick to the part -embarassing..)
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The broken piece is very small. I don't think epoxy will hold for normal use.

Jason.
    Last edited by JasonC; 01-08-2009 at 10:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    JB weld is wonderful, I've used it for repairing broken tabs on ABS plastic & have seen it used to repair cracks in crankcases and motor mounts. I think they also make a formula for aluminum.
    I've also used it with a couple pieces of wire for a little extra support.
    Another option would be to fabricate a copy of the entire top of tab assembly & either screw it on or use the JB Weld. You would have to file the original top portion of the tabs down to the correct depth.
    I'm sure it could be done with hand tools and not even that precise a measurement is required.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin