Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,266   Posts: 1,534,324   Online: 802

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Phototransistor for a DIY shutter tester

Hi folks,
    I went yesterday to a pretty good electronic parts store in the city looking for a phototransistor BPW 40 or similar and I was told a) they don't have it need to order then b) I need to order minimum 15 of them.
    What would I do with 15 phototransistors when I need one? Any of you has such a component lying around without use? Many thanks
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Diwan Bhathal showed me his clever shutter tester and it's based on sound only, as I recall.

Anyway, yeah, I think I actually do have some phototransistors lying around the lab. But the response times are not good enough as I recall.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I got a phototransistor for you, but it is in Holland and I am in Brazil.
    I have used this phototransistor in my own designed and build shutterspeedtester. It is the NPN type (the one I have)

Please send me am email with your full name and adress and can get it to you.

Peter Morisson archphoto@aol.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

was this sayal?

the Sayal group are usually ok with finding the ones and twos they have in thier group of distribution centres in the GTA.

I bought a IR detector, and a couple of different power IR transmitters as single unts from them a few years ago. The plan was to make a flash trigger to take pictures of water drops. It has not made it past the breadboard stage, but the concept of operations was valid.

As I recall, the detector was a phototransistor; used with the IR transmitter running off a battery with a resistor as a current limiter should work to trigger the light as it travels though the shutter while it is open.

The other option is a marked up disk of paper making a pattern wheel and running it on a turntable, spinning at a known rate. With the right number of identifiable strobe lines you can count how long the shutter was open by seeing how much the image is smeared in the exposed neg. This was an early Leitz shutter calibration means, I believe.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Photodiodes are faster, giving you much cleaner rise/fall times. PM me a mailing address & I will send you one or two.
    (please remember, I don't check this site every day, but I will get back to you)
    Those who don't think Photographers have the skills of REAL artists such as painters obviously have not had to spot my prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    REXP, email sent. many thanks to all for your support on this.
    Mike - yes, it was Sayal. They have other types of photodiodes which I'm not sure will work with this application (I'm no expert in electronics) plus I have to order, plus they sell min 15 pcs. Otherwise the store is pretty good.
    Peter, thanks for your offer.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There was a bunch of talk on this subject on the Yahoo Camera-fix group. The diode recommended was a faily low cost device that you could order from Mouser or Newark electronics (one of those two has an office in Canada so it would be easier for you to order). In order to get the speed, the diode had to be reverse biased to a certain voltage (I think it was either +5 or +9 volts). When the light hits it it avalanches and conducts. So I built a board with 9 superbright LEDs and then hooked the diode to an oscilloscope to measure the time it was conducting. Works really well. Not sure if I have any of those part numbers, but I do remember the total price was around $10, but you would need a cheap oscope to go with it (another $100 to $150).

If you do a search you can see pictures of the one that I built, might have even given the part number for the diode.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    PM me, and I will send you one. I ordered a few extra for my tester.
    or better yet, I will pm you!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A lot of Ham's and other experimenters use a place called digikey and mouser (google them).

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

The device that I used was a Texas Instruments manufacturered JEDEC type number 1N2175 photodiode. It is a glass tube about 1/2 inch long and about 1/16 inch in diameter with a hemispherical lens at one end and two very small wire leads coming out the other end. For our purpose, it has a very fast rise time. If needed, I can probably find the data for maximum voltage and maximum light current in one of the books in storage. Select a current limiting resistor to work with your power supply (5, 6, 9, or 12 VDC) and hold the current to one or two milliamperes DC and it will work fine with any electronic counter or calibrated oscilloscope.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin