Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,699   Online: 771

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

courses/books camera repair

I purchased the camera repair guide of my OM 1 camera. I am fascinated how these mechanical cameras are designed but can't understand it since I have not the right technical background. I saw some books on ebay on camera repair but they didn't look interesting. I saw an American website where you can learn every aspect of repair with 12 dvd or more at a total price of 3300$ (also digital camera covered). This is too much for an amateur. Any alternative ? I am located in Belgium.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BBonte View Post
    I purchased the camera repair guide of my OM 1 camera. I am fascinated how these mechanical cameras are designed but can't understand it since I have not the right technical background. I saw some books on ebay on camera repair but they didn't look interesting. I saw an American website where you can learn every aspect of repair with 12 dvd or more at a total price of 3300$ (also digital camera covered). This is too much for an amateur. Any alternative ? I am located in Belgium.
    I'd suggest that you buy Tomosy's "Camera Repair and Maintenance" Volume 1 for starters. It explains the basics and goes into some detail on a few of the very popular cameras. Pick up a cheap, dead Pentax Spotmatic on eBay to practice on and you'll soon start to see how such things work and become familiar with what Tomosy calls the "domino effect" of a camera's operation. He also describes how to make tools, what lubricants should (and shouldn't) be used, what adhesives are suitable, etc..

Best wishes,

Steve

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin