Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,049   Posts: 1,561,097   Online: 894

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Broken screws Rolleiflex.

I am rebuilding a previousely written off Rolleiflex MX-EVS and this thing is just driving me nuts. I keep breaking the very soft brass screw that was on it. What is worse is that I found out they were all Whitworth thread.

Having been brought up with Metric I am completely tearing out my hair on specifying the thread size. I have checked the repair manual but they only give a description and not the tread.

Can anyone help me to check if I have got them right?

Hood screw : 1/16"x5/32"
    Rolleifix screw: 3/32"x5/32"
    retaining Screw shutter speed select wheel: seems to be M1.5x3mm, but I am not sure as I cannot figure this one out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm really surprised that they wold be anything but Metric. Even more surprised they would mix metric and English on the same assembly
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you haven't already, repost your question here:

http://www.kyphoto.com/cgi-bin/forum/discus.cgi

Greg

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I find the Whitworth screws in my rollei suprising as well, given that Germany was on the forefront of going metric. If all fails then I'll just buy some metallic epoxy and M2,5 tap.

I'm not interested historical accuracy, just want a working piece for happy shooting.

Falkland Islands: not any more now I'm in Lincolnshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am not sure that you have got it right. Are the sizes that you quote pitch x diameter?
    5/32 whitworth is 32 TPI. You should buy a thread pitch gauge to check the sizes. I cannot believe that Rollei would have used imperial sizes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's what I was thinking. Whitworth is described by a diameter and threads per inch. e.g. tripod thread is 1/4" Whitworth, 1/4 x 20.

Most Whitworth threads are almost identical to American UNC threads so you may be able to find something similar in that range.

EDIT: I assumed the original poster was in the US but he says he was brought up with metric so I'm not sure now!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Hi, I live n Germany at the moment, so I have *absolutely no clue* on how to specify imperial thread. I did managed to get it mixed up by specifying diameter x pitch. Now I have learned something today.

I will have a thread gauge by next week so perhaps I can clear this up by then.

Yes, I was surprised Rollei used Imperial as well, that is kind of un-German; try unscrewing one of the 4 black brass screw on the viewing hood and see for yourself!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know if or when they changed, but my Rollei has optical screws, not metric. Go to your local hobby shop that sells model train items and look at 00-90, 0-80 and 1-72 screws. These are a perfect fit for my Rollei! They come in different lengths and head styles. Washers and nuts are also available where needed. By the way, 00-90 is standard size for eye glasses.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Optical screws, of course!

That might be it, I remember someone once told me Leica uses Optical screws.

It is nice to have a forum like this, since when one is working on his own he suffers from tunnel vision.

Falkland Islands: not any more now I'm in Lincolnshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Can anyone give me some more information on "optical screws" ? I have tried to find it on Google and nothing has come up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin