Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,170   Online: 999

Thread: Painting a lens

Shooter
    Multi Format

Painting a lens

I have a spare 127mm Mamiya Sekor C lens for my RB67 that needs work. The painted coating on the outside of the rear element is flaking off inside the barrel and as this is a spare lens, and even in good shape they sell for peanuts, I'm thinking its a good candidate for my first lens dis assembly/repair procedure. I need to order or make some lens wrenches I guess but what about the paint? What can I use? Those of you who may have opened the back side of one of these lenses is there anything to be aware of? I wont need to tinker with the shutter, just remove, clean, and repaint the rear element.

Thanks,

Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak used to supply a matte black lacquer. I would recommend something similar as it dries fast and can be removed easily. I have repaired items using a brush and just spraying aerosol lacquer in to a container. I would suggest avoiding enamels which would be more difficult to remove due to oil in them which polymerizes.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looking at the lens again its a non C version, which means its not coated. Any problem with using tape of some sort to mask the surface of the lens so I can spray it, or is a brush better?

Thanks for the info Richard,

Ed

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
    Looking at the lens again its a non C version, which means its not coated. Any problem with using tape of some sort to mask the surface of the lens so I can spray it, or is a brush better?

Thanks for the info Richard,

Ed
    Ed, ALL lenses made during the lifespan of your camera were coated. There may be a difference between multi-coated, and single-coated, but your lens is coated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just use Tamiya gloss black. Spray can from the hobby emporium.
    Brushing lacquer or enamel leaves brush marks(no surprise).
    Never had a problem using masking tape to cover the surfaces but blue painters tape is safer.
    The paint needs to be applied in very light coats and I back the spray can off & just mist it on. Usually takes three or four coats to get it covered. Never had flaking problems with it but anything on the edge of the glass is delicate & will scratch.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin