Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,967   Posts: 1,523,369   Online: 1193

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I certainly seem to have started a debate on the virtues of 'lens care' in the form of lens caps, filters and lens hoods BUT what I was more interested in how to remove smudges on a second hand lens that already has marks on it.

I remember buying a second hand Rollieflex e3 tlr with f2.8 Xenor taking lens from a local photographic store. When I first looked at it both the viewing and the taking lens looked grubby. When I mentioned this to the man behind the counter he said "No problem sir I'll get our repairer to clean them" When I returned a few days later to buy it, both lenses looked like new...I have wondered to this day what the repairer used????

Thanks for all your suggestions. Cheers Dave
    ps....All spelling mistakes are deliberate !!!!!!!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dave, he might have used this : https://photo-shop.zeiss.com/epages/...ehoer/Cleaning

Philippe
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I sandblast my lenses!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach View Post
    ... And it is up to ME ... when I use mine ... etc., etc.
    Agreed.

The debate (if any) should be: why do you do what you do. Generally, those people who are attempting to be helpful to newcomers will offer clear explanations.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I was in a Walmart once and picked up a box of Zeiss branded optics cleaners for around $3 for a pack of something like 50. Basically, similar to the hand wipe pads. Some sort of alcohol on them and a soft "cloth". That being said, I won't use them on my lenses. I use them on the "cheap" filters that protect my lenses (already contributed my thoughts to the poll).

I've gotten some really ugly vintage lenses on ebay (optars, steinheils, tessars) and Windex and a soft cloth has done wonders.

Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jeff K - Sandblasting and Boudoir - great combination
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotoguy20d View Post
    I was in a Walmart once and picked up a box of Zeiss branded optics cleaners for around $3 for a pack of something like 50. Basically, similar to the hand wipe pads. Some sort of alcohol on them and a soft "cloth". That being said, I won't use them on my lenses. I use them on the "cheap" filters that protect my lenses (already contributed my thoughts to the poll).

I've gotten some really ugly vintage lenses on ebay (optars, steinheils, tessars) and Windex and a soft cloth has done wonders.

Dan
    I was standing in the checkout line at Walmart with my dog food, cat food, and toilet paper when I did a double take; there on the endcap were the Zeiss lens wipes you mention! I couldn't believe it! At Walmart??? I bought a package and tried them on my lenses, and they are wonderful! I now carry a few of the little pouches in every camera bag.
    Of course, Walmart being Walmart, I never saw them again. But I did some searching, and B&H carries them, too.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    [
    Any suggestions on what to get from the chemist to shift those stuborn stains? I geuss pure alcohol will be in there somewhere??
    Canned air; camel's hair brush. Look at surface obliquely to make sure all grit is off. Breathe on lens; use a brand new cotton swab. If this does not work. a drop of Vodka on another brand new cotton swab. Drink remainder of vodka AFTER cleaning lens.

I have IA-type filters on almost all of my lenses. And I remove them whenever I intend to take pictures.
    I like your cleaning idea best. Grey Goose Vodka it is!
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I bought the mentioned cleaning set from Carl Zeiss some weeks ago, but unfortunately (or fortunately ;-) ) there had been no reason to clean my lenses so far. I will respond as soon as I have used it. I may also try the cleaning solution. I think Zeiss made extensive tests with their own T*-coating, so I hope it will do no harm :rolleyes:
    Greetz, Benjamin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    "Never rub dry dirt or dust off the surface, because they may contain miniscule quartz particles that are much harder than glass and that can scratch the latter nearly as badly as diamonds can. First gently whisk the dust off with a very soft brush before breathing on the surface and then using a soft cloth, preferably the B+W “Photoclear” microfiber cleaning cloth and extremely gentle pressure to wipe the surface clean. When the dirt is very hard to remove, a bit of saliva is the best solution – always available, guaranteed free of abrasive materials, oil and aggressive chemical substances. Never use a paper tissue for cleaning because it leaves too much lint, and paper fibers cling to glass because of electrostatic charges." This is a quote lifted straight from the Schneider Filter Manuel.

So spit is perfectly OK to use a lens cleaning fluid.

However I strongly disagree with what this Manuel, and others say, about the use of lens cleaning tissues. I have been using nothing but lens cleaning tissues for 30 years. The great advantage of tissues is that they are disposable. The fear of any cloth is that they will collect dirt particles which you will unknowingly rub into your lens. Schneider only complaint with tissues is that they will leave lint on your lens. I can assure anybody that this is just not true - I have never had lint left from a tissue, and that's cleaning lenses several times a day for 30 years. It is more likely to happen with any cloth. All the great lens and camera manufacturers make lens tissues, Kodak, Lee, Tiffen, Rossco. Most professionals that I work with use tissues. Our local pro fujinon repairer uses tissues. Tissues are just as soft as any cloth on the glass as well - that's my opinion.

Using a UV filter for protection. Remember every bit of extra glass on your lens - no matter how good it is - will add to flare, kicks of light etc. For my 35mm work I leave the UV filter on, as it is impracticle to take it off for every shot. It is important to me to protect the front element. However for my LF work I unscrew the protective UV filter just before I take the shot (unless I am using other filters - so I have removed it before hand.)
    The Medium is the Massage - Marshal McLuhan
    www.abriefvisionoftime.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin