Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,272   Online: 822

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ever see a person use their t-shirt, after trying to find a clean area, to clean their lens? :o
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know about that "spit not being abrasive" part. They probably haven't met my mother-in-law...
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The enzymes in spit are good to 'dissolve' Algae (= biological sells) and skin grease on lens elements. I have 'saved' an enlarging lens from algae by keeping the element in my mouth for a wile, then cleaned it wit the Zeiss kit and assembling. I learned the trick from a former, retired, Oude Delft engineer who, a long time ago, ran a camera repairing shop in Leiden.

Santé,

Philippe
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Now I have advocated the use of lens cleaning tissues, I must add the following caveat after reading of a post that advocates the use of facial tissues. Facial or any form of hand tissues from your supermarket are a big no-no. Believe me I have used them in an emergency. They do leave lint all over your lens just as Schneider says - and goodness knows what chemicals are in them that are not good for the lens coatings.
    I advocate lens tissues - but only those made for the purpose. I always use lens cleaning fluid - Tiffen for example - 2 or 3 drops on a lens. I recently bought a lot of bottles with a spray top, I think Leica, but they spray far too much fluid. Just buy ordinary bottles and use a few drops of fluid. Remember when you have no lens fluid, just spit on your lens - it will not hurt it. Before using any of the above, blow and/or lightly brush off, any obvious particles. Good luck and in the end everyone has their own method. I've used the tee shirt method on many occasions, but it ain't good for the lens - there is no way I would do that to my LF lenses.
    The Medium is the Massage - Marshal McLuhan
    www.abriefvisionoftime.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Most important... always blow the lens as clean as possible with clean air first before wiping

Next important... never scrub a dirty spot off, always use very light wiping.

Next important... never try to wipe off a dry lens, always at least have breath vapor if not good lens cleaner and always use just a little lens cleaner, don't just squirt a bunch on.

And my secret cleaner that isn't really a secret, after blowing the lens off, stick a piece of Scotch Magic transparent tape to the lens. You can get a lens sparkling clean with scotch tape. I have done it to many lenses with no damage ever.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Definitely make sure there's no dust/grit on it before wiping.
    If you take a lens cleaning cloth (I like plain unlotioned unscented kleenex personally, actual 'lens cleaning tissues' usually suck) and fold it so that you have a folded edge that you can grasp between thumb and forefinger.. use that to gently wipe the lens. Not smash/press it down with the force of your thumb, just let the tissue paper gently pass over the lens with the force of the folded tissue. I guess i'm not so good at explaining this but it's good advice nonetheless.

Also, Rexton Optyl-9 is a product that I will forever be in love with. From cleaning CRT's, DVDs, scanners, my face (seriously), plastic and glass of all kinds.. it is absolutely the only cleaning solution I will use unless I need to break out the ammonia and drop of photo flo for things with mold, etc.

NASA apparently uses it. It's really good stuff, no harsh alcohols or anything. Leaves no apparent residue. It's awesome. A light spray or a few drops is all you need, a tall spray bottle lasts a long time.

Their negative cleaning solution is pretty good too but the optyl-9 is w here it's at.

Shooter
    Large Format
    *shrug* I guess i'm getting some good plain tissues over here. I do shake them to free any dust or otherwise but they come fine (no dust or lint).
    Though i've never used zeiss tissues or the like.. I've used paper towels to clean condensers, etc. Works for me. No scratches.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Turned out the damn filter -which had fingerprints on it- was stuck on there. I had to dremel it off,
    There are special tools to help install or remove parts like this which are essentially a rubber band that grips all the way around the filter, just a rubber band can work wonders though in getting filters like this off without any damage.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leicam5 View Post
    Dave, he might have used this : https://photo-shop.zeiss.com/epages/...ehoer/Cleaning

Philippe
    Weirdly, looking for something else entirely but remembering this thread, I happened to notice this:

"we've introduced a new top grade lens cleaning solution- 'Ultra Clarity'. Zeiss Optics likes it so well, they private label it."

http://www.filmtools.com/lentiscleanf.html

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Agreed.

The debate (if any) should be: why do you do what you do. Generally, those people who are attempting to be helpful to newcomers will offer clear explanations.
    There is so much truth in this comment, at least in my view, and it could be applied to many, many threads here - not to mention discussions anytime, anywhere that two or more photographers are gathered together!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin