Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,344   Online: 809

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Reattaching the strap socket on a Nikon FA

Hi,

while doing fun stuff with it on an Alaskan glacier, I wounded my Nikon FA. One of the two metallic pins to which the strap is attached jumped out of its socket. I can put it back, but it won't hold in place, which means that my strap is only attached to the camera on a single point (which I don't really trust so much). It doesn't sound so bad, but actually makes carrying the camera a big pain, especially as it doesn't have a very nice shape to be handheld for long.

I went to the local camera repair shop, and the guy told me it would be more than 100€ (twice what I paid for the camera...). I guess I could try to just glue it back, but:
    - I don't know which glue to use
    - I want something I can really trust, as the main use of this camera is to accompany me when I'm climbing, and I don't want to have to worry about it falling down while I'm up there.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    /Alexandre

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I don't know about this one, but on the FM they are held into place with a screw.
    If you don't see a hole in the pin use some 2 component glue, but be carefull not to get any glue inside the camera !
    Degrease before.

After 24 hours check above the bed for camera safety !

Good luck,
    Peter

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It is not a screw but a small cylinder with a circular hole in the middle. The not getting any glue inside the camera kind of worries me, as the socket seems to be pretty deep (much more than the pin is long) and apparently widens, so could lead to other components of the camera.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You are into trouble !
    You probably lost a screw inside the camera that holds the strap att (pin).
    That screw can go anywhere inside, locking things up.
    I am afraid the top has to come off, the screw has to be found and to be put into the right place and so on.

Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    You have to remove the top plate on the camera. The socket that holds the strap pin has a set-screw, which has probably just worked loose (but it still in place). It's a n easy fix once you get the top cover off.

I've never removed an FA top cover, but I have on the F and F2. Just go slow, and make careful notes. You won't have to unsolder the hot shoe, as you only need to lift the cover enough to get to the pin socket, probably an inch or so. Good luck.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, that's really helpful. I'll try to open up the beast.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin