Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,575   Online: 1039

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Got a 65mm Super Angulon - Wondering what to do with it. Perhaps a 6 x 12 camera.

I have acquired a 65mm f8 65mm Super Angulon lens in quite good condition. I'm now thinking about what to do with it.

I'm going to make a lens board for it which will fit both my speed graphic and my home made 5x4 camera but I'm not sure if either of them will work this short.

I have an idea in my mind about building a 6x12 format camera with the lens fitted at the hyperfocal distance for either f16 or f22. I just need to find a suitable viewfinder - something similar to 20mm on 135 should be about right with the top and bottom masked off a bit. Any ideas?

I would be interested to see if anyone else has made something similar with one of these lenses.

Will I need the centre filter (which I don't have) or will it be o.k. at reduced coverage and stopped down?

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 03-02-2009 at 10:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 65mm will fit & focus on a Graphic, on a normal board, but you will probably get the front of the focus track in the image. So drop the front bed with the standard on the rear rail, fully retracted, then focus the lens by adjusting the position of the standard, you need to be extremely careful not to use the normal focus mechanism/or take extreme care as you can strain & damage the focus tracks.

On my Wista the lens includes the front of the focus track so I use rear tilt, and front rise & tilt to get around this, again I don't need a recessed board, but many cameras do.

I don't have a centre filter but there is fall off at the corners but not enough to cause me problems with B&W, however for colour work it would be better to use one.
    Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Oh my God, man. Just point it at something! ;p
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Oh my God, man. Just point it at something! ;p
    That's certainly worth thinking about!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree with Christopher, but would like to add that you don't really have to point it at something, just point it in the general direction of something. It's w-i-d-e!

It's a nice little lens - so nice in fact that I decided to get a 47mm XL!
    Last edited by Ole; 03-02-2009 at 04:34 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: CAPitals.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The center filter is useful, but very hard to find. Heliopan also made a center filter in the same size that should work.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fotoman makes an adjustable viewfinder that will work for a 6x12 format, if you do 6x9, a 28mm finder will do the trick. You can get a CV finder new. This may also give you some ideas: http://www.skgrimes.com/paqpro/index.htm

Shooter
    Large Format
    i use mine on a speed graphic it is great!
    the only problem is it is so wide that even behind the camera
    i am in the field of view!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I tried it on my Speed Graphic last night. I think that if I aim it at the Eiffel tower, I could get the Taj Mahal and the Statue of Liberty in the frame as well!

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perfect lens for a project I am trying to get together for 6x9 format on my Speed.

In general, 65mm is the widest lens that will fit a Speed, due to the rear curtain. It will show the bed, however (with 4x5 film), so you have to drop the bed to use it.

If you want to use it hand held, you can dedicate it to your camera by calibrating the rangefinder with the bed dropped, or at least rigging a makeshift focusing scale.

They are VERY wide. I might consider using a roll film back, as well as trying some 4x5.

For a framing device, I used a coathanger to make an attachment for my sportsfinder so I can frame hand held with a 90mm (at least on the sides and top). It looks idiotic, and you have to take it off to pack up the camera, but it does work. I set it up by looking at the ground glass with the camera on a tripod. If you use roll film backs, you can try to find the proper Graflex insert for the top viewfinder, or barring that, have a machine shop make you one.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-03-2009 at 03:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin