Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,515   Posts: 1,543,721   Online: 890

Shooter
    35mm

Calibration procedure for Fuji GS645 Rangefinder?

I have just completed a bellows-replacement on my Fuji GS645 folder (75mm, f3.4) and - having run a few rolls of film through it to check for light-tightness - have found that the rangefinder is no longer accurate. In fact, the RF doesn't line up at infinity...

So, I understand that the rangefinder should be fairly straightforward to adjust (I have read that there are two adjustments; for infinity and close focus?), so I intend to do that when the latest roll of film is finished.

However, there is one thing I am unable to figure out... how to get the top of the camera off! I can see there are a few small screws, but I also need to undo the winder, but it won't budge. Is it a left-handed thread, or should I just apply more force?? Are there any tips for removing it (so far I've been using rubber washing-up gloves for grip)

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've done this with a Fuji 6x7 rangefinder, and all I can remember is that it was not at all difficult. I don't have the camera any longer, so I can't check.

Make sure there isn't some way to make the adjustment without taking off the housing. (e.g. removing a screw could open a little hole in which to insert a screw driver).

Is there some kind of covering over the center of the cocking lever? If so, removing it might reveal the screws or whatever that hold down the lever. My experience has been that left-handed threads are used on any central screw that holds on a winding knob or lever. [... discovered by twisting off the first one I tried to undo...]

My recollection is that the Fuji rangefinder had a vertical adjustment (to get the images to align in the vertical plane when the horizontals came together) which was on top of the rangefinder "guts" over on the right, and a horizontal adjustment to set for "infinity". I don't think there was any linearity or second-distance-focus adjustment. I think the horizontal/distance adjustment screw is adjusted from the front of the camera. It's been a long time. But it's obvious once you see what's inside.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok thanks for that... I suspected that the thread on the winder cap might be left-handed (trouble is that the cap is completely plain - no screwdriver fittings/knurling at all. Got to try and find something very grippy!)

I shall give it a go over the weekend hopefully!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the cap is flat and metal, just superglue a flat piece of metal to the cap. Clean the residue with acetone.
    I use tweezers with a flat end.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I managed to get the top off the GS645 over the weekend - the screw holding the wind-lever in place has a standard (right-handed) thread. The rangefinder is now adjusted at infinity :-)

Unfortunately, I managed to drop the camera whilst out-and-about with it on Saturday afternoon, so it has also been undergoing some reconstruction this weekend (cracked plastic around the viewfinder and split 'flexible PCB' caused by the impact - had to run some extra wiring inside to re-join the cut tracks). Needless to say, I wasn't happy about my stupidity :-(

Having said that, it all seems to be working again now...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin