Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,606   Online: 795

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Taking a dent out of a filter ring?

I have a couple of large format lens's that have been dropped (not by me) and they have a flat dent on the filter ring. I realise that great care must be taken not to put too much pressure so that the balsam is disturbed. Any special pliers available?

Thanks Dave Dawson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've straightened the filter rings a few times using a hammer and a small piece of wood (dowling), not too hard so it damages the threads but enough to just tap the dent out completely. I have used extreme care, and the lenses were fine and filters could be used afterwards.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or a plastic tooth brush handle, as above.
    It may help to have a piece of wood with a similar diameter to the ring to hold the lens in place. But I've never bothered.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mico-tools sells a "Lens Filter Ring Vise" for this purpose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you go to a professional machine shop, they will have a big die cutter for each filter size (unless they use one of the fancy computerized dohickeys that cuts everything from one precise blade). If the metal is soft enough then that might be able to expand it out for you. Patience is the key.

If a dent or crossed thread is really bad but localized to one part, what you could do is just dremel out that section (which exerts almost no pressure on the lens if done properly) ...and then the filter threads will still be able to grab.

I have made slip-ons out of the [inexpensive, flexible, good] mamiya hoods that work quite well on lenses with messed up filter threads. All I do is circumcise the threaded section on the hood and the slip the hood onto the lens, and just pull the hood forward when shooting. Actually some of my lenses are set up this way even if their filter threads are good b/c it is so convenient.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In case the thread has been misformed one could try using a segment with a male thread instead of that piece of wood.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's easier said than done

If it's misformed the male thread won't mate up with the female thread, you could end up with even more of a mess

Ian

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends on materials... And you still can machine out that very part of the thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anyone ever use the Micro Tools vise ic-racer mentioned: http://www.micro-tools.com/store/ite...x?ItemCode=LV1

Work well?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not for $36 + shipping. At one time there was a pliers with M&F threads on it. You were supposed to squeeze the handle to straighten the bent threads. I don't know how you cold get enough pressure to have any effect.

The vise might get you to the point where you would use the dowel or tooth brush handle to make the final adjustment.
    The trouble with all of these methods is that they're not precise. You may straighten the filter ring but the threads may have closed a bit. When that happens I use a dental probe or scraper to modify the thread.
    I've about 1/2 doz different scraping tools for this.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin