Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,405   Online: 704

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I recently got a top handle postcard-format Speed Graphic. Paine's Graflex book lists three lenses that the camera was available with: a Zeiss Kodak Anastigmat #4, a Bausch & Lomb Anastigmat and a Cooke Series II. I am reciting from memory so I could be mixing these up a bit, but the B&L listed was the 15a, which had a 7 1/2 inch focal length. The Speed Graphic was introduced in 1912, but some appear to have been made before they were produced for general sale, which is what "pre introduction" must mean. I am figuring that my 29xxx serial number dates from 1914-15. Regards, Thomas

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Hmmmm- Not a 3A graflex or Compact Graflex but postcard Speed? COOL
    Is it a spring back?
    The Compact took film/plate holders or a roll film back that used 5 1/2 in wide [or so] rolled vertically.
    My 3A graflex has a B&L VIIa double 11 3/8 +/- [ 122 roll film ]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Fotoguy20 - a correction: Richard Paine, on page 39 of "A Review of Graflex", lists the lenses for all of the sizes of the earliest Speed Graphics. For the postcard size, the B&L was the f:4.5 Zeiss Tessar Series Ic #15a, which has a 7 1/2 inch focal length. The Cooke Ser II, f4.5, was #21 1/2. The Zeiss Kodak Anastigmat was f6.3.

eworkman - yes, a 3 1/4 x 5 1/2 format Speed Graphic. It would take a dual cut film holder that is about 4 7/16 x 7 1/2 inches, outside dimentions, but I have never seen one of these. ( A regular 4x5 CFH is 4 3/4 x 7 1/4 or so).

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I guess all you can do is see if any holders come up on ebay or Pacific Rim Camera, or see if a graflex back will fit, then a rollholder, then film....... I purchased a ground glass back and holders for the Kodak 3A, cuz I had, by mistake, got 200 ft of 3 5/8 x too thick- and compounded that mistake by seeing that 122 film isn't the same width as postcard cut film, so that won't work and the Kodak plate/film holders are very much thinner than graphic/graflex anyway. I wish you the best of luck
    regards
    Ed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin