Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,961   Posts: 1,523,120   Online: 956

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Anyone familiar with omes shutter tester?

I've recently noticed some moderately priced shutter testers on eBay sold from China, with what appears to be the brand name "OMES" on the front. Here's an example listing.

The usual round of web searches return nothing about these... has anyone here given one of these a try? Care to share your experience with us?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Would be nice if they showed the light source portion and the pickup portion. If the pickup is the little round thing on the end, then it will be just about useless. In an ideal tester the pickup should be mounted at the film plane and the back sealed off so that stray light does not enter, I can't see how you can do that with this tester.

Shooter
    Large Format
    It works on Omes Law.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    Would be nice if they showed the light source portion and the pickup portion. If the pickup is the little round thing on the end, then it will be just about useless. In an ideal tester the pickup should be mounted at the film plane and the back sealed off so that stray light does not enter, I can't see how you can do that with this tester.
    Gotta go with Greg on this one. It mentions shutter speed but a large part of adjusting a focal plane shutter is knowing what the curtain travel times are.
    If they're out of balance you can have uneven exposures.
    The Omes device should be OK for leaf shutters though since you're just dealing with exposure and sensor size doesn't matter.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    It works on Omes Law.
    Resistance is feudal?

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    Resistance is feudal?

Lee
    Currently?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The peasants are revolting
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I note that this thread has been energized by a high SPR: signal-to-pun ratio. ^^;;

Thanks for the observations, all. It happens that most of the shutters I'd currently like test are leaf shutters, but I'm not in any particular rush on this front.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a shutter tester I made with a phototransistor and a 9v battery. It uses a computer sound card to measure the shutter time, and is quite accurate.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The price is reasonable, but it real use will be for leafshutters.
    For a light source you will need a non flickering one, like a light bulb not those energy saving things.

Years ago I build my own in a 19" rack.
    Basics: power supply, 5 point measuring head, 5 op-amps, AND gates, cristal oscillator and 3 3 1/2 digit counter and display's.
    It measures 3 points at the same time with a choice between horizontal and vertical for focal plane shutters and a single measuring point for leaf shutters.
    Works great !
    Cost: a bit more than this one, but what the hell....

Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin