Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,676   Online: 815

Shooter
    Multi Format

Camera inside a Bottle

it worked!

the superturbo Wingass model X-5000 camera-in-a-bottle worked!

just a boring half-frame image of bottles of detergent sitting on top of the dryer in the laundry room...but...it worked!

now I need to make a cooler camera that will take better images, and maybe take a whole roll of film

technical details:

bottle type: Kentucky Bourbon

film: 1" of 35mm TriX

lens: disposable camera lens @ approx f/22

shutter: none, made exposure in darkness and popped flash

camera body: collapsible
    Last edited by DarkroomExperimente; 04-11-2009 at 08:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    you are insane.

can I buy one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    this version wasn't too hard to make, but a more practical version might get kinda difficult

....not sure how much I want to torture myself

I've been thinking of doing this for years so I at least need to make a few versions

maybe I can send you one loaded with kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now the next challenge will be how to insert a piece of 4x5 through the 1" diameter opening in the bottle...

and how to use a roll of film: 120 might squeeze through if I trim the flanges....35 would go through if removed from the metal cassette

it also might make sense to have the camera load the film from an extra spool....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Got me puzzled! Can you post a photo of this camera?
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will eventually when I make a better version of it....this first test was a "proof of concept" experiment

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you pick the right bottle, maybe you can build a film holder to fit on the outside of the bottom, then accept a little distortion from the glass. Or reverse the design using a jar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    interesting idea...would have to be done in the darkroom like this test since there's no way to get a lightproof seal....unless you cover the entire bottle

lens/shutter could be in the neck...nice idea...I like exploring all possible options.

In fact...it could be pretty funny: making a camera OUTSIDE the bottle, since making it INSIDE is too much of a pain in the ass!!! --- hey, I think I'm starting to like that. I think I owe you a beer for the suggestion.

btw, for everyone who wants to see the camera(s) and images...I'll eventually post something in keeping with my usual glacial speed, but if you're in the DC/MD/VA area, I plan on putting a collection of unusual homemade cameras & their photos in the next Artomatic ( 1,000+ artists taking over an office building for the month of June )

www.Artomatic.org ...there will probably be other APUG members showing there too, I know there was at least 1 in the 2007 Artomatic

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, now I have to do it...a camera OUTSIDE a bottle...fun...easy

but then I thought of the other inverse: a <I>Bottle Inside a Camera</i>....now I have to do that too --- a large format camera with a bottle or two inside casting shadows, reflecting light & causing all kinds of mischief

Shooter
    Multi Format
    here's the first image from the bottlecam:

( the weird triangular area at the top isn't part of the image )

I haven't taken a picture of the camera yet, but you aren't missing much -- it just looks like a black plastic bag on the end of a stick

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin