Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,112   Online: 990

Thread: Jammed XA4?

Shooter
    35mm

Jammed XA4?

Hi,

Think I might have a problem with my XA4. I was using it earlier today and heard the shutter firing with the lens cover closed, I could even wind on after I heard the sound. This happened several times, quite randomly between shots, and then all of a sudden it wouldn't fire or wind on anymore.

Last week I already had a bit of a problem with it but thought it was battery related as the battery check did and did not work (and consequently the shutter didn't fire either) more or less at random. This made me think I should get new batteries for it (which I admittedly didn't). Now though, the green control light (for long, low-light exposures) comes on when opening the cover when the camera's aimed at dark areas and the battery check works as it should too. So I guess that's no longer the batteries being out of power, or is it?

If anyone's got a clue, that'd be most welcome, thanks!

Zeno

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like the electronics have finally given up. Unfortunatly, as much as we wish they did, these dont last forever. You could spend your money at a repair shop(if one exists), or find another similar(or whatever)camera. Personally, I have two XA's that I'm deciding whether to keep or sell. They both need seals, my XAII has dirty battery compartment. I haven't used either in years, and I'm trying to figure out if I really miss using them. Well, anyway, if you have another camera, keep shooting. If not, better get another soon, that way you wont go into withdrawel and start jonesin' for a digital!!!
    Rick

Shooter
    35mm
    Sadly you were right Rick, tried new batteries, no luck. It's now turned into a good looking bit of decoration. Already ordered another XA (regular this time, with proper rangefinder) on eBay as I really thought of it as being the ultimate take-everywhere compact 35mm... Shame it's not all mechanical, wouldn't have had a problem like this if that were the case.

Luckily have another camera or two (or more) so need to worry about getting something digital. ;-)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin