Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,288   Online: 891

Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 353940414243444546474849 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Did a real hack job calibrating my Super Ikonta 533/16. I ground a sheet of plastic with fine sanding paper to use as a ground glass and fixed it with scotch tape, but it didn't stay flat. So I wound two rubber bands onto 120 spools and spanned them across the plastic, just like a regular film, to get the plastic flat (that worked pretty well, actually). Then I used the rear lens element from a 135mm lens I recently disassembled as a focusing loupe to get the focus right. I sure hope it was worth it, just loaded a roll of Fomapan and taking the camera out this afternoon.

I also "fixed" my Canon F-1n. The mirror got stuck repeatedly and only returned when I dismounted the lens. Oddly, that only happened at 1/125th shutter speed, and only with my 50mm f1.4 lens. The solution, it turned out, was to cock the shutter prior to mounting the lens. I normally do that, but I must've forgotten it the last time I mounted that lens.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "Then I used the rear lens element from a 135mm lens I recently disassembled as a focusing loupe to get the focus right."

Funny, I do the same thing.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Replaced the right top decking on a chrome F2 (mint DE1 model) that I picked up on eBay over a year ago. The camera, a 714xxxx body did not have a mark on it save for an unfortunate dent on the top plate beneath the film advance lever. After scouring the shops I found an As-Is body that was totally fubared (Film advance didn't, mirror was locked up, and I could not get the door opened for the life of me. Sooo, BK the photo surgeon did his deed. The most difficult part was keeping track of the dinky little screws. Wow, were these cameras put together well. The "operation" was a success and the patient is in recovery; loaded with E100VS, it will be making a trip to Cathedral Grove sometime during the week of the 11th of December...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did a tear down, and cleaning, to fix a few issues of a Canon Demi S this past weekend. It was a really disgusting piece covered in dust, mold, dirt, and in some areas even salt deposits?! The mold had even eaten into the metal on some parts. I remember when I had opened the back the first time when i got it, there was a small plume of mold/dust that kicked up, and I started to sneeze lol. The leatherette case it was in, was caked with it.

I would never have bought this camera had I know about this, but the guy who I bought it from failed to mention this(as well as a few other things), and ultimately didn't even want it back since it sold for so low. So it sat in a corner for awhile, debating if I should even work on it, or just toss it as a lost cause.

The shutter, aperture, and wind, were all stuck, basically all seized up. When I started to take it apart, I noticed that the camera had been worked on before, there was one screw that was stripped, and the others had tool marks on them. The leatherette covering also had holes in it, that exposed the screws, which were painted black, I assume to cover up previous work?

Well I wiped all visible and reachable surfaces with a lysol disinfecting wipe(except the lens), while using a screwdriver to poke the wipe into the smaller areas. Flooded the fungus/mold ridden foam on the back with naphtha and scraped most of it away.

I first took off the front panels, to try and check for the wind jam but couldnt find it. tried firing the shutter by manually pressing down the lever on the side of the shutter assembly, but it didnt work. The I unscrewed the front lens assembly/ shutter speed/ aperture ring/Asa ISO spring dial to try and get deeper. Still coudnt fix it, So I thought it must be stuck in the gearing under the wind lever. So I took apart the top plate, and traced the problem back. It was a gear catch lever that wasn't returning, which blocked the wind lever from moving, if you hold it open with one hand it allowed it to wind. so I retraced the connections and I applied a bit more force to return the long connecting lever from the wind to the shutter assembly and it popped back into place. This fixed the winding problem.

Now onto the lens, since It wound up, I tried to fire it, but nothing happened and the aperture was still stuck open. I soaked a Qtip in naphtha and touched on the sides of the shutter, and after a bit, it popped back as well, and the aperture blades were able to open and close up. But after drying the problem returned.

I did this a number of times, flushing it with a soaked qtip, and firing away at all speeds. It was quite frustrating. This part took the longest. I ended up realizing from reading a bit more online, that I probably needed graphite to lube the blades. I didnt have the option of running to the store, not even sure where and if its even sold by me. So I took a piece of mechanical pencil lead (which is graphite as well) and scrapped it with the sides of a sharp pair of tweezers, which gave me a fair amount of very fine material to work with.

I applied to this a small bit of pec-pad, and rubbed it on the still wet shutter. I alternated this and firing, and finally drying it out with compressed air. and then finally it worked and stayed working.

Reassebly wasnt that tricky, but I found out that If you tighten the screws on the lens assembly a bit to much, you lock the shutter speeds and the aperture settings from turning. I had to take it apart and loosen then screws a bit and assemble again.

So mission accomplished, I have to put some foam in the back if I have time this week, and Ill shoot a test roll and see how it performs. =]

Shooter
    35mm
    Found a beautiful Olympus 35SP at a swap meet for $20 but it had a stuck shutter. It cleaned up very easily and now works fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been fixing old Linhof Technika bellows this week with PlastiDip and they seem to be lightproof again.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I recently picked up a Canon 100mm 3.5 LTM lens that was in bad shape from Adorama for a decent price for the condition. It turns out the lubricant had migrated all over the place.

I spent a few hours figuring out how to take it apart and clean each surface of the glass which was impacted. It looks like the lubricant actually stripped the coating off of one of the surface - and I've got a bunch of dust in it now introduced in the cleaning process - but other than that it looks good. Looking through the lens, neither is visible. A flashlight reveals the issues but it looks like they may not impact the image quality as I can't see any impact in the ground glass.

I like these Canon LTM lenses. Almost all of them have been relatively simple to work on and have cleaned up nicely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For the last few days I've been replacing the light seals on my RB67.
    Next on the list, I have two busted Polaroid 250s, the front standard of a 195, the back of a 350, and a few other bits and pieces. Let's see how many working cameras I can cobble together.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Used windshield repair resin to fill a nice chip on the 37mm fisheye for my RZ.
    Unjammed the focus/lens mechanism on a fuji GA645.

I love working on cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyMac View Post
    Used windshield repair resin to fill a nice chip on the 37mm fisheye for my RZ.
    Unjammed the focus/lens mechanism on a fuji GA645.

I love working on cameras
    Resin repair on a lens... that sounds scary to do haha! Id have shaky hands attempting that.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin