Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,517   Posts: 1,572,151   Online: 1011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm an Idiot!

Shooter
    Medium Format

I'm an Idiot!

Iím an idiot!

I just recently had a mint condition black Yashica Electro GT 35mm rangefinder overhaul cleaned and lubed. I like to use soft releases on the shutter releases. But they have a bad habit of coming unscrewed and lost. When we had a local camera store I could run down and get a new one for buck and a half. Well those days are gone forever, and so thinking I was clever I applied a tiny drop of Elmers glue to the tip of the soft release thread and screwed it into the shutter release. (You know what is coming) , Now it sticks down and will not spring back after firing. I can pull it up but it will not sporing back I have a box full of cameras I tried to ďrepairĒin my attic, so I am not going to make that mistake, unless someone has a simple solution. Other wise itís send it out to a camera repair man .At least Iíll be spared actually having to look the repair man in the face while explaining how dumb it is possible to get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you warm up the release, the glue may soften up enough to remove from the camera. The tip of a small soldering iron might work.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was thinking alcohol and water but that might seep in deep and cause more damage,take it back to the place that did the clr an tell them that they forgot a spot.

mike c.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a black GT, as well and just love it. Where did you get the CLA done, and where do you find soft releases for them?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had it over hauled by Mark Hama .and I would be ashamed to return it to him for this repair
    The soft releases I got from Xun Liu /HeavyStar P.O.Box 1164 San Leandro, CA and also online fromEbay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think Richard has a good idea. If you can get the release off, it might take enough glue with it to get things working again. The heat isn't likely to liquify the glue, so there is little worry of getting the glue farther into the camera.
    Once the release is off you can remove any remaining glue on it with some warm water and perhaps a tiny brush.
    For the camera, it's probably a simple repair, but you wouldn't want water in the release while it's on the camera. Taking the top plate off probably isn't difficult, but if you aren't comfortable with the screw turning, it would be best to send it in, as you've noted.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I am reminded of Ted Orland's "Photographic Truths" poster, which part of it reads;

"You can use a butter knife to fix a camera that a camera store would charge $10 to repair"

and

"A camera store will charge $75 to repair a camera fixed with a butter knife."

The prices are a bit dated, but you get the idea!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The camera should have been sat upside down until the glue dried.

Unfortunately, it has probably dripped down the cable release shaft, settled on whatever is below, dried, and will need to be removed by taking the top cover off of the camera.

I am looking at mine right now, and it does not look like a difficult job. A few small screws and the advance lever need to be removed for sure.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heat will cause the glue to become plastic and soft but wont melt . alcohol most times wont break down the glue, however vinegar (acetic acid) does dissolve white and yellow glue. I wouldn't recommend that yhough, as then the combination of glue and acetic acid will flow into places you dont want it to go.
    Rick

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth!

This morning I was messing with the shutter release pushing it in and out, when I felt something pop. The release button sprang back to normal position and stayed there through cycle after cycle. Then I replaced the battery and ran exposure checks and everything was normal again, a miraculous healing???? But then I screwed in the soft release and the camera jammed again!!!! After much playing with the shutter release collar and it began working fine again, as long as I did not use the soft release!. I guess I can live with that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin