Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,469   Posts: 1,570,891   Online: 974

Shooter
    35mm

Does Anyone Do CLAs as a 2nd. job?

I have several rangefinders that need a little bit of work. They have small problems like minor light leaks, a screw that needs to be reinserted, and probably a lube. I can buy the same camera CLA'd from a repairman cheaper than I can have mine repaired. I hate to just throw these cameras in the closet.
    Does anyone know of someone who does minor work as a 2nd. job?
    Thanks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I do, I used to do repairs for several camera stores in Rotterdam, Holland, and now a day's I am CLA-ing my own equipment only.

But that is not what you mean I think....... and sending those camera's back and forth across continents costs more than a regular CLA.

Ever thought of doing some things yourself ?
    Replacing light seals is an easy job, look for some threads on the subject.

Good luck,
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For light seals and repair info see
    http://www.kyphoto.com/cgi-bin/forum/discus.cgi
    http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/sealreplacement.html
    Jon Goodman sells a nice kit of precut foam seal material on Ebay and maybe other places
    I have started doing my own work for the same reason I have these wonderful classic cameras but can't afford to spend $100.00 + on each to have them repaired. As for doing other peoples It can just get to time consuming for me to do most , even a Argus C3 can have simple but time consuming problems because it is so simple things have to be just right to work. Most of the challege in classic camera repair is being able to work with very small parts disassemble, clean, and reassemble with out damaging or losing anything.There are books on camera repair most are some what out dated but still very helpful. Ed Rommney's book is a very good if out dated one.
    Jay

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin