Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,999   Online: 878

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay, that is like the design I first intended to build. But if anybody would provide a more complex and more accurate tester I would be very happy.

And again, which one is the better diode or transistor? I've read that diodes give a clearer rise and fall in voltage? And also, why is IR better than any visible light?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olleorama View Post
    Okay, that is like the design I first intended to build. But if anybody would provide a more complex and more accurate tester I would be very happy.

And again, which one is the better diode or transistor? I've read that diodes give a clearer rise and fall in voltage? And also, why is IR better than any visible light?

I used a photo-transistor (part no. SFH300-3) for my simple tester - This was chosen as a: cheap & in stock, b: fairly fast rise time.

The vast majority of diodes/transistors are most sensitive to IR, and even the visable light versions tend to have peak response at around 8-900nm.

As BetterSense pointed out, people are making complicated - For my part, I plugged the SFH300 in to the parallel port and wrote a 200 line C++ program to record the on time. The second version may well use a fast DAC card and quite a bit more code.

Shooter
    35mm
    Diode vs. transistor really doesn't matter here. Photodiodes are faster, but phototransistors are plenty fast for this application. Phototransistors seem to be a lot more common; you can get them at radioshack in a pair with an IR emitter, and also at Fry's. When I was looking I couldn't find photodiodes anywhere, until I discovered a bag of 5000 in the electronics lab here at the university.

As paul_c5x4 said, it's not that IR is better...it's just that silicon PN junctions are sensitive to IR, because of their band-gap. They have a peak in close IR, even the ones used for camera meters.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin