Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,846   Online: 868

Shooter
    35mm

cracked Olympus OM hotshoes

I recently got a good deal on an Olympus OM2n, and lo, the hotshoe is cracked. I understand this is a fairly common issue. The hotshoe still works somewhat, but the cracked base compromises its register with the angled pentaprism housing. I very carefully applied some CA adhesive and clamped the crack shut, but I'm not optimistic as to its permanence.

Any tips on fixing cracked OM hotshoes? I'm thinking either a zip-tie or safety wire tied around is the next step.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The plastic itself is deteriorating. I don't think that there is anything that can be done about it. If you are using flash a lot, get an OM4 instead or better use the flash off the camera with one of these special cables. The top of the camera isn't the best place for a flash anyway.

Ulrich

Shooter
    35mm
    What's different about the OM4?

I have a flash bracket, but does TTL flash work with a simple PC socket cable? I think I would need a special cable, eh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    What's different about the OM4?

I have a flash bracket, but does TTL flash work with a simple PC socket cable? I think I would need a special cable, eh.
    PC connection is "X-sync" and no TTL is available. Olympus did make TTL off-camera cords but they are rare now. I agree with a previous comment about moving up to the OM 4: the flash socket on the OM4 is integral to the pentaprism. On the OM1n, OM2n, it is a separate fiddly, vulnerable and fragile (read: prone to cracking) thing that was the Achilles Heel of the OM1, Om2 series. Cracking was so common in the time when I used the OM1n (later moving to the OM4) that I ordered several flash shoes (at the 1980s price of $25 each) just to keep up, as flash was used a lot for simple portraiture.

If you need to keep the detachable flash shoe operational (when cracking up), it calls for drastic first aid: use SuperGlue in the crack, followed by an all-around Araldite/epoxy 'paint'. Don't get any of the stuff around the knurling ring or underneath where the contact pin is; just enough to cover the crack inside and out. It will probably give a while of service after this.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you need to keep the detachable flash shoe operational (when cracking up), it calls for drastic first aid: use SuperGlue in the crack, followed by an all-around Araldite/epoxy 'paint'. Don't get any of the stuff around the knurling ring or underneath where the contact pin is; just enough to cover the crack inside and out. It will probably give a while of service after this.
    Ok, I have plenty of epoxy around, and I'd rather keep this hotshoe working if at all possible, since examples of used ones are hard to find and usually cracked too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    KEH has them without any cracks starting at $27, of course, no idea how long till the new one develops a crack too.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin