Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,047   Online: 1082

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

new bellows plate made Byron possible directly mount modern lenses like Apo Symmar 5.6/150, details in my blog.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Made a minor improvement on the outlook, nothing to do with the function or optical performance, but purely on visual aspect.
    Original outlook of the film chamber cover was milled flat and filled with a thin layer of steel, thus showed its trace after covering.

no one ever criticized about this, but myself can not live with it! so there is detail about improving this on my blog.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blocked by left side teeth and blocking plate, I said that 3x4 Polaroid instant film hold could be used on Byron, but had to use 10 flims every time, in my last blog.

Well, not true anymore.

That's ridiculous to force user to shoot 10 instant film every time.

So I tried to solve this problem. One guy in other forum asked about the similar question, his camera blocking the dark slide from inserting back, I suggested him to cut out the part that blocks, and then think maybe I can solve my problem in similar way.

But not to cut out something, thus, to replace something.

Since the slide is not so stiff, plastic dark slide now can be pulled out or inserted back anytime during the shooting.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Re-design Polaroid instant 3x4 film holder cover lock in two versions, one from me, in two days, another one from my 7/yo son George, in 10 seconds, and I think his idea is much better than mine!

detail in my blog.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I decided to named my J66 WA 4x5 rangefolder "Emily".
    The basic frame is ready
    Accept lens in focal length 90mm and shorter, I hope to mount a 47mm lens to see how it looks like.

She will be a fixed lens WA 4x5, share the same back system with Byron, but need a new designed helical focus system.
    Keep working on it. on her.

You know what? Comparing with the single plastic lens that J66 uses as taking lens, its rangefinder made in much better quality, really don't know what was Polaroid thinking when designing J66.

Last edited by salihonba; 12-10-2009 at 09:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    She with a Grafmatic film back.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just found out that I never post images of storing chamber, so here they are:

Shutter release and lens cloth can be stored in the chamber, door closed tightly, controlled by a tiny screw just under the eye cup (a silver shinny one), can be adjusted if you feel it too tight or loose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks good, that's a very interesting conversion, I would find a small 5x4 camera with a 90mm lens very useful.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yeah Ian I would define it as a "pocket" 5x4 snap camera.

Shooter
    Large Format
    That bothers me, so I face it and solve it.

The cold shoe, was bought from HK, I took it apart and installed it on Byron with a custom base. It looks like this:

Thought that would be a nice solution to convert original shoe into a international standard size, so I order some from HK again, and made the base in small quantity.

But then I realized that these "made in China" products are unstable in size, some are too tight for mounting, some are OK and some too loose, that bothers me, a lot!

Rather than being complained by my clients, I prefer to face it in advance.

So all these cold shoes and bases are abandoned, I ask my mechanist to make a new one for me.
    Byron need only one screw to fix, the second hole is designed for Emily, I planed to implant two or three shoe mounts on her, three in a row! You can install a view finder, a range finder, and a level or a flash at the same time!
    Borrowing from lens board, luckily I don't have to order new custom size of stop fixer screws,
    Now the shoe is made in one piece.
    But for those accessories doesn't have a locking screw, this shoe is little loose to them. I asked the price to order a tiny spring plate for shoe, but gave up of the cost.

So to mount an accessory that without locking-screw, and seems loose, you can:

1. insert a little piece of paper in the shoe, then insert the accessory.
    2. use Scotch 3M tape, paste a little piece in the shoe.
    3. insert a transfer shoe mount first, then insert your view finder

So the only one part I bought from ready-made, is the 3/8 to 1/4 tripod socket.

People tells me that they rarely use 3/8 tripod anymore, no need for an adapter. Well, I am kind of old fashion, alway keep the option.

Oh, by the way, I add a little rubber button for the shutter release, because days before a lady who loves to take pictures operated Byron, and she couldn't find the release, finally she found it, and she said that the release is not handy for a girl with little palm size like her, better if she didn't have to press it so deep.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin