Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,382   Online: 905

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks again.

Unfortunately, it didn't turn up today so I can't spend the evening fiddling with it!

Light tightness isn't something I had thought about until you mentioned it. I'm fairly certain my Minolta lens mod doesn't have any gaps but I will have a look.

I have access to some serious metal removing equipment... possible a bit too heavy duty for this. I have a friend with a military history museum who collects and rennovates military tanks. He has a lathe which is just about small enough.

I do have a smaller lathe myself but it has been ignored for too long in my shed and has seized up (a project for another day).

I will certainly give it a go. If my lens doesn't fit then I will find something else to go in it.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have just found this: http://fotographis.com/4x5.htm

This uses a 50mm Nikkor lens as the focus mount. I have sent an e-mail asking for some more details but I think a Nikkor lens might be an expensive option unless I can find a broken one.

Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    That looks nice. Nikon lenses are bigger than Olympus, so one of those may do. I bet there was still a lot of hacking and filling to do. I only chose the oly lens because I had one here, ready to hack up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by richard littlewood View Post
    Steve, the only thing in doubt here is wether your 65sa will fit the 'hole', as I mentioned the 47sa is smaller, and the 65 angulon posed no probs at all. If you have access to some metal removing machinery you may be in a good position. I only have a Dremmel.
    Well, my lens showed up today and was in pieces minutes after I got through the door. I'm fairly certain I can do it without reversing the helical though I can see why you reversed it with only a Dremmel to help you out as it has an 'almost designed for it' platform to mount the lens on.

In my case, I am going to cut away all of the platform and machine a lens board/disc to fit on the front using the three threaded holes (how I wish I hadn't thrown those screws in the bin!)

As for the question of the Super Angulon rear fitting..... Well, the lens rear element casing is 42mm wide. The opening in the inner helical is........ 43.5 (I did a little happy dance when I measured that!)

I have attached a couple of front and back images to see if we have both started off with the same lens just for interest.

Stay tuned for some more progress tomorrow when, hopefully, I can machine the parts I need to mount the lens (which I stupidly left at work).

I apologise to the OP (Daniel) for hijacking this thread which was supposed to be about wide angle folders but a couple of people have expressed interest.

When I get a bit further (or even finished) I will post a thread of my own detailing the construction.

Steve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_2439.JPG   DSC_2440.JPG  
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 06-03-2009 at 12:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just give it a go, I am enjoying reading your progress! Daniel.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by salihonba View Post
    Just give it a go, I am enjoying reading your progress! Daniel.
    In that case, read on!

I have added a lot more images and description to this page:

http://www.freewebs.com/stevesmithphoto/pano612.html

Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Steve
    Any issues with the slot and light-tightness?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I cant see that there will be. I will have to hold it up to a bright light when I get it all together again.

The slot is in the same place as it was when it was a proper Olympus lens so unless the bit I removed from the front shielded the light, it should be o.k.

I have removed the inner helix to take out the flat area and I'm having trouble getting it back into the threads. I will just have to keep trying. I know it came out of there so it has to go back in!

From my pictures, does it look like I have the same lens as you used?

Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thats a different lens. I used a 50/1.8

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Also it looks like the slot runs from the back, and that part will be light-tight, but what about the front of the lens, and when it is drawn out - like doing a close focus, will the groove reveal itself. So far, so good!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin