Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,251   Online: 722

View Poll Results: What wood would you choose for your next camera?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Walnut

6 8.45%
  • Cherry

27 38.03%
  • Ebony

6 8.45%
  • Mahogany

17 23.94%
  • Rosewood

5 7.04%
  • Cocobolo

2 2.82%
  • Other (post it in a reply)

8 11.27%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If / when I build a new camera, I'll try maple.
    In fact I already have some maple bits ready for this, just need the time, which means that I first have to finish all (or most of ;-) ) the house improvements that are on the radar (this includes the darkroom).
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I owned and used one of the most marvelous cameras ever made for over 25 years. It was a 8x10 Szabad. Made of Ebony and Ironwood in Sweden during the 1960's, it was a all black behemoth with a purpose. The uprights and controls for shift and swing were of a soft finished shiny alloy and very large and prominent. You could easily manipulate it wearing gloves.The front rise and fall were geared and of a blackened brass. They had to be geared because of the weight. A lens package as heavy as a 300mm 4.5 Voightlander Apo-Lanthar in Compur Electronic 5 was too much for a Deardorf or most other wooden or strained metal cameras like my Sinar, hardly phased the Szabad. The locking system was brilliant. It could apply as little or as much tension as you needed. Locked down, was absolute. Nothing moved.

Even though I have no idea what I would do with it now, I really do miss the beast. It was a terrific camera to use and despite its bulk it was very responsive and stronger than almost anything else. With it and my Sinar Norma, and for location work a Horseman 450 and a Technika V, even though I had little awareness of it, I lived in large format bliss.

Production of the camera was voluntarily stopped by Szabad because of South African politics and in support of the efforts of Nelson Mandela and the ANC.

Szilárd Szabad and his cameras http://prittsel.googlepages.com/szilardszabad

Fred
    Last edited by Fred De Van; 05-27-2009 at 03:13 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added infomation and a link

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Zebrawood, it's different, light w/dark stripes planning on a P&S with a 58 Grandagon & 6X7 roll backs & pistol grip. Planning on around 6X6X2+" & 5-10 degrees of fwd tilt.(tripod use)
    I don't know about using flocking on the interior, I'd be concerned with flaking. Just going to use flat black paint.
    Rockler tools & Bell forest products both carry small hardwood, 1/4X3X24ish" so there's not a lot of thickness planing involved(I hope)
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Lloyds Approved Shelmarine khaya marine plywood.

Black locust.

Kentucky Coffeetree.

Shooter
    35mm
    John, zebrawood looks amazing but it's a total PITA to plane and it stinks badly when working with it. Good luck! Post pictures when it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Zebrawood, it's different, light w/dark stripes planning on a P&S with a 58 Grandagon & 6X7 roll backs & pistol grip. Planning on around 6X6X2+" & 5-10 degrees of fwd tilt.(tripod use)
    I don't know about using flocking on the interior, I'd be concerned with flaking. Just going to use flat black paint.
    Rockler tools & Bell forest products both carry small hardwood, 1/4X3X24ish" so there's not a lot of thickness planing involved(I hope)
    Sorin

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
    Frugal Sorin Blog - Last article : light proof material (for darkroom, changing bag, focusing cloth,etc)

Shooter
    35mm
    I have to say, I am a bit surprised at the results of the poll. I was expecting more interest in exotic woods. Very interesting.
    Sorin

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
    Frugal Sorin Blog - Last article : light proof material (for darkroom, changing bag, focusing cloth,etc)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I used poplar for the only camera I've ever built; cheap, soft, local.

Not what you'd want to use for a commercial product I suspect!
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am in the process of making a couple of cameras using Australian Lacewood. Beautiful figure but granite might be easier to plane. :>)
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

I plan to use Lime for my next camera, and tripod. It looks nondescript, but has all the right characteristics.
    Light in weight.
    Exeptional bend strength.
    Stable in varying humidity levels.
    And it doesn't resonate or vibrate -like some wood do.

Lime? I believe you call it Basswood in the US.

Alan Clark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Was searching for woods last night and found Zircote
    Whatever, though
    If I'd ever have someone build a camera it'd be crazy sweet. 2 or 3 contrasting grainy woods and one more plain grain and what about inlay it would have plenty of that
    can you do inlay? Don't know why not.
    and freaking chrome. CopNickshowChrome
    Black chrome might be cool. Black chrome for lens board thing and the ...lets just say all metal besides knobs black chrome. Chrome Knobs, Baby ..and no knurling

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin